sis1of4ch

Call External File from Memo Field

According to the TMG manual I can set up a path and use external data files for a Memo field. I created a text file in Microsoft Word it is just one line,

This is a test for using an external data file for a memo field. Then in TMG I created a tag and in the memo field typed in the path for my file name putting an exclamation point as the first character. !C:\extfiles\test210 Then I ran a Journal (custom) report and sent it to a Word file. At first it just printed the date and sentence for the file but did not print any of my external file. I went back into my external file and put a space in front of the sentence, now it does print the sentence but it prints several lines of garbage before and after. HELP what am I doing wrong?

The file has to be a text file. It would need the extension .txt at the end.

The manual says a word file with an extension of .doc but I will try it with the .txt Thank you

I think that's a typo. Oh if it only were a .doc file. <G>

I think it will open the file from the memo field, (haven't tried it) but it won't add that memo to a report unless it's a .txt file (have tested that).

The 6.12 help file does say: (but I think it's supposed to say ABC.TXT. ) Hopefully someone else will verify that for us.

Call External File from Memo Field

In addition to Memo fields within the program, memos can also be stored outside of the data set in an external file. Such memos will be imported into TMG. An exclamation point will be the first character of the memo, followed by the drive, path and name of the file. For example: !C:\MYDATA\ABC.DOC

You can edit the memo field, changing or deleting the path/filename as you would any other text.

To edit the external file:

With the cursor in the memo field of the Tag Entry screen, press <F7> or click the [Memo] button.

You may place a split field marker (||) after the file name if you wish. A comment can be included in the [M2] portion of the memo. For example: !C:\MYDATA\ABC.DOC||This is a transcript of the marriage bond.

Wholly Genes, Inc.

Edited by GenerationGoneBy

I think that's a typo. Oh if it only were a .doc file. <G>

---------------------------

Word files are a LOT larger than text files, due to the extra internal codes, text formatting, etc. How much space do you have, after adding thousands of external memo Word files?

... staying with text here, but the external link exercise is always a helpful option.