mosh

version 6 -> 7 conversion doesn't fly

After backing up a 6.12 dataset and closing TMG6, I opened the newly installed TMG7 and ran a "Restore" on the 6.12 dataset backup to a different location. The backup included external exhibits which were located in C:\TMGpics directory. Running Restore resulted in the following error message:

"This project is from TMG version 5 or version 6. To transfer a TMG 5/6 project to TMG7, you should first make a backup of the project in TMG 5/6 and then Restore the project in TMG7. Note: If your project includes exhibits nested in the TMG program folder under the Program Files tree, please include them in your backup so they can be properly relocated when restored."

I *did* try and restore the TMG6 backup in TMG7. What's flying?

Also, I am extremely disturbed that TMG7 will not let me put my project files where I want them (in the Program Files\TMG7\projects hierarchy). I don't want my data files scattered all over the hard disk.

Mosh

Mosh,

I didn't put my exhibits as part of the 6.12 backup. I just left them in C:PICTURES. When 7.0 did the restore, it has pointers to those images. I think you'd be better off to redo your backup and not put the external images as part of the backup.

After backing up a 6.12 dataset and closing TMG6, I opened the newly installed TMG7 and ran a "Restore" on the 6.12 dataset backup to a different location. The backup included external exhibits which were located in C:\TMGpics directory. Running Restore resulted in the following error message:

"This project is from TMG version 5 or version 6.

I saw this happen once or twice during testing but could never get it to repeat at will so it could be fixed. I suggest you try another restore and see if that doesn't work.

As Teresa says, if your exhibits are not stored under Program files, you can leave them out of the backup/restore process and they will continue to work where they are. Seem my article on Updating to TMG7 for more detail.

Also, I am extremely disturbed that TMG7 will not let me put my project files where I want them (in the Program Files\TMG7\projects hierarchy). I don't want my data files scattered all over the hard disk.

That's MicroSoft's rule, which is enforced in Windows Vista, and TMG is just complying with it. It's my understanding that this was done as a security enhancement - it's bad practice to have anything write into "program space" other than during installation.