shampayne

A new feature to Check for Duplicates While Adding People

I have two data sets in one project. The extra data set #2 is what I call "whorthese" and has those people who I think could be family but about whom I am not certain as yet. (For me, the advantage is that I can see all the people in the Picklist providing I have enabled both in the Data Set Manager)

I have been working through a list of people of one of my main branches that was forwarded to me by a relative. Where they are new members (to me) I have been adding them to my data set #1 using "Add Person". Where there is a similar person to that new person in data set #1, I get the notice "Possible matching people:" which I have found very useful BUT it doesn't show whether there is also a matching person in data set #2. (I have checked this with a person's name that I know is in both data sets)

Is there a way to check for all "New People" in all data sets in the same project - if not could it please go on the Wish list B)

The point of the new feature is to determine whether the new person being entered might already exist in the same data set so that you don't end up entering duplicates of the same person.

The point of the new feature is to determine whether the new person being entered might already exist in the same data set so that you don't end up entering duplicates of the same person.

Thanks Jim

I always say that "No is an answer"; it's just that it would be helpful for me if I could check the other data set when I am entering new people. I'll have to go go back to my old method of checking on the Picklist after I've made the enteries

I have two data sets in one project. The extra data set #2 is what I call "whorthese" and has those people who I think could be family but about whom I am not certain as yet. (For me, the advantage is that I can see all the people in the Picklist providing I have enabled both in the Data Set Manager)

I have been working through a list of people of one of my main branches that was forwarded to me by a relative. Where they are new members (to me) I have been adding them to my data set #1 using "Add Person". Where there is a similar person to that new person in data set #1, I get the notice "Possible matching people:" which I have found very useful BUT it doesn't show whether there is also a matching person in data set #2. (I have checked this with a person's name that I know is in both data sets)

Is there a way to check for all "New People" in all data sets in the same project - if not could it please go on the Wish list B)

Just a thought based on what I do.

Merge your two datasets into one. I can see absolutely no advantage in keeping them as separate datasets. Once they are merged, the feature that you want is there, plus many others. When you find a family connection, you are ready to make the links.

Reports, charts and the (auto) relationship calculator will tell you all you want to know about who is a proven relative and who is not.

Separate projects and datasets are of value when you acquire and want to keep a relative, authority or friend's database for reference (and plagiaristic <g>) purposes.

Best wishes,

Mike Talbot

Just a thought based on what I do.

Merge your two datasets into one. I can see absolutely no advantage in keeping them as separate datasets. Once they are merged, the feature that you want is there, plus many others. When you find a family connection, you are ready to make the links.

Best wishes,

Mike Talbot

Mike

Thanks for your suggestion.

I think I will keep mine as it is at the moment. I have just started on v7 and the two data sets go back to v4 when I changed over as a refugee from UFT

I have made a lot of changes in my main data set as I've gone on v4-5-6 and now 7 which are not really reflected in the other data set. I shudder to think of the time that it would take me to correct places, tags etc if I merged both sets and it works for me and I am used to it

Thanks again for your suggestion