Steambuff

Tranferring TMG Data to a 2nd Computer

Currently TMG is running on a desk top but I plan to add it to a Laptop for use when at Archives etc. I thought that the way to transfer the data to the Laptop and then to keep the 2 versions aligned was by Export/Import but I can't see exporting in TMG format as one of the options. You can only Import in that format.

Am I missing something here, for example I should be doing something completely different!!

Any advice will be very welcome.

Currently TMG is running on a desk top but I plan to add it to a Laptop for use when at Archives etc. I thought that the way to transfer the data to the Laptop and then to keep the 2 versions aligned was by Export/Import but I can't see exporting in TMG format as one of the options. You can only Import in that format.

Am I missing something here, for example I should be doing something completely different!!

Backup/Restore....

Backup/Restore....

Paul,

Many thanks for your ultra quick guidance. It's much appreciated.

I'm a bit of a novice though computing wise so can I just check I have understood you completly?

Currently I back up to my C Drive and then burn a copy onto DVD.

Are you now suggesting that I back up to a removable disk, for example a memory stick, and then insert that stick into the Laptop and do a restore from it?

If I then make updates on the laptop I would do the same in reverse to restore the Desk Top to the latest data.

At any point in time therefore the latest information would be on the Memory Stick and this could still be burnt to a DVD for added security.

Sorry if this is awfully basic but your confirmation would be very helpful.

Best wishes

Backup/Restore....

Paul,

I'm a bit of a novice though computing wise so can I just check I have understood you completly?

Are you now suggesting that I back up to a removable disk, for example a memory stick, and then insert that stick into the Laptop and do a restore from it?

If I then make updates on the laptop I would do the same in reverse to restore the Desk Top to the latest data.

At any point in time therefore the latest information would be on the Memory Stick and this could still be burnt to a DVD for added security.

Best wishes

Precisely...you can transfer to the laptop using a memory stick or a cd/dvd if your laptop has a reader....backup on the desktop and restore on the laptop...if you do any updating on the laptop reverse the procedure...backup on the laptop (to a memory stick) and restore on the desktop...

You must have the same version of TMG on both systems....

Backup/Restore....

Paul,

Best wishes

Precisely...you can transfer to the laptop using a memory stick or a cd/dvd if your laptop has a reader....backup on the desktop and restore on the laptop...if you do any updating on the laptop reverse the procedure...backup on the laptop (to a memory stick) and restore on the desktop...

You must have the same version of TMG on both systems....

Paul,

Excellent!

Thanks again for your superb advice and have a great weekend.

Don't backup/restore directly to/from the memory stick. The temporary work files will overwhelm the small device.

Backup normally on the desktop.

Copy the desktop .sqz backup to the memory stick and copy that to a .sqz. on the laptop

restore laptop from the .sqz on the laptop.

Caution. If you make any updates on the laptop, you will need to do the same thing in the opposite direction or enter the same change on the desktop to keep things in sync.

Don't backup/restore directly to/from the memory stick. The temporary work files will overwhelm the small device.

Backup normally on the desktop.

Copy the desktop .sqz backup to the memory stick and copy that to a .sqz. on the laptop

restore laptop from the .sqz on the laptop.

Caution. If you make any updates on the laptop, you will need to do the same thing in the opposite direction or enter the same change on the desktop to keep things in sync.

That depends on the size of your memory stick...mine are 1GB and I backup directly to it with no problem...actually am able to put between 40 and 50 backups on it...

In case it wasn't clear, use TMG's Backup and Restore commands. Use Backup on one PC, copy the resulting *.SQZ file to the other PC, and then restore it.

Thanks to you all for your helpful comments. All I need to do is to get the laptop!!

Cheers.

You may be missing a trick here.

Copy your entire project to a folder on your flash drive. When you open TMG on either machine open this project and you will always be working on the same live data!

No back-up and restore, no getting out of step, tried and tested (by me!)