jkokavec

Big, whole, unfocused, family tree

I've tried a lot of programs, and all of them either produce:

1) Ancestry chart

2) Decendant chart

3) Hourglass chart

I'm after a program that plots a massive graph of absolutely everyone: eg, the family ancestry of my brother's wife, all my grandmother's sisters and brothers, and who they married (and their spouse's family tree if I choose to include that)

I'm conducting genealogical research. I've got a fair bit of data stored in GEDCOM files.

I want a program, or website, that will plot absolutely everybody in the one one tree. Brothers, sisters, cousins, distant cousins, uncles, people only related by marriage, etc.

I basically want to create a massive tree with all my available information. (even if it's text based, that's ok too)

Most programs, like Family Tree Maker 2008, only allow you to show your ascendants (ie, not showing my cousins), or the descendants from a particular person (ie, not showing that person's siblings - if the parents are unknown).

Do you understand what I mean?

I want a BIG, COMPLETE, UNFOCUSED CHART.

Can you help me please?

Cheers,

jkokavec

You want this in a chart format, right, with everyone connected with lines? How many people are you talking about? I think the main reason such charts are not created is they soon become too large to be practical, and there are serious issues when lines inter-marry, which is difficult to show on a two-dimensional chart.

TMG's ancestor box charts can show all the children of the ancestors, but don't include more distant cousins.

TMG, with the use of Second Site, creates great websites that can include everyone in your data and link them with hyperlinks so readers can naviagate in any way that suits them. But the charts that are included show only ancestors or descendants, I believe for the reasons mentioned above.

I agree with Terry. One my data has 26,000 people. They are all related to me or my husband. We are married, 6th cousins (probably more relations if I were to go back a few more lines). Try showing a chart with me and my husband married, that would not only show my father and his mother as our parents, but also as cousins to each other. Now throw in that my mother's side of the family doesn't branch. I have lots of first cousin marriages on those lines, lost of 2nd cousins marrying, and my 4th great grandmother on my mother's side is a sister to the husband of one of my dad's second cousins on his father's side, and a third cousin once removed on his mother's side. I can barely follow that using TMG, much less a chart. And to get those relationships, I would only need about 1000 people on the chart. It would take a rain forrest to print on, cover several acres and you'd still not be able to follow all the connections.