In TMG 7, I set up the following paths for my external exhibits.

First level: E:\TMG exhibits\

Second level: hardcopy\ and imagespeople\ and imagesother\ and audio\

Third level (e.g, For the second level "imagespeople" folder): family1\ and family2\ and family3\

Fourth level: (e.g.For each of the Third level families folder): tif01, tif02

To place tif01 in a person's exhbit, I would open that person's exhibit log and "add". Then select the image at E:\TMG exhibits\imagespeople\family2\tif01.

I did not check the paths properties so assumed all ok since the image appeared in the person's exhibit log.

After installing TMG 8, I have not looked at the exhibit paths nor my TMG exhibits folder for some time. Just looked at the first level folder and all images still in the correct sub-folders. The new situations is that all the images in all the sub-folders under "imagespeople" are duplicated in the "imagespeople" folder. In addition, the paths for all the images in the exhibit logs refer to the duplicated images. Not the ones in the family sub-folders.

The TMG V8 "current project option, exhibit folder" is set to: E:\TMG exhibits\imagespeople. Should have been the same in V7 but do not remember.

Any idea what may have caused the duplication and the exhibit log path change (I assumed in V7 the path to the sub-folder was used)? Also, any suggestion as to how to change the exhibit log path back to the sub-folders? I have close to 1000 such images that are affected.

Joe

Joe -

I don't know that this is a factor in your problem, but note the warning in Help / Restore (v7 and v8); apparently the tree structure may not be maintained in the Restore:

CAUTION: If your exhibits are stored in a multi-folder folder tree rather than in a single folder, you should not use the Restore Wizard with your exhibits. Maintenance of exhibit folder trees (such as backing up or moving the exhibits) should be done outside of TMG v8.

Virginia

Virginia,

I guess that is what caused my "problem". Thanks for the information.

The only reasonable way I can see to return to linking the multi-folders to the exhibit log images is to find in TMG where the path is defined for each image and add in the multi-folders in the path. Any idea if this is possible and what the file name(s) would be. The worst case would be to delete the current log images and re-add them to the logs......very time consuming.

Thanks again,

Joe

Joe,

You might care to look at my PathWiz! - Listed in WG Companion Products -an exhibit manager with lots of uses for exhibit users in TMG

Its web site is via http://beesoft.info and then PathWiz! V9

Bryan

Virginia,

Did find the "Load" function in the Exhibit Log and have spent the day correcting all the links. Will not try to Backup/Resotre external files. Have laearned the hard way! Thanks.

Bryan,

Will look at PathWiz to see what it can do....sounds interesting.

Joe

After you reconstructed your exhibits tree, why didn't you use the external exhibits function of Validate File Integrity to update the paths? It would have taken a few minutes at most.

Jim,

Did not realize VFI would find the folders. When I completed the long "Load" approach, I ran VFI again because I knew I had missed some. It was then I saw that the missed ones were found. You are right, it would have saved me a lot of work!