Exhibit Folder Path in v9 Different Than in v8

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dgmock

dgmock
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

I upgraded from TMG v8 to TMG v9, and I transferred my old database to the new install using backup/restore. In the old v8 database, I have hundreds of exhibits linked into TMG. These exhibits are located in an exhibit folder that is located in a different directory than the default TMG directory. WIthin this exhibit folder, I have painstakingly organized the exhibits in a number of subfolders that are nested several folders deep. Tonight I backed-up my new v9 database and was surprised to see that nearly 400 of these exhibits were not found during the backup. Upon closer look, I see that in these cases TMG v9 is looking for exhibits in a folder that is one folder higher than where they are actually located.  For example, I have a lot of Word documents actually stored in a folder named .../Genealogy/Exhibits/Word Docs, but for some reason TMG v9 thinks they are stored in .../Genealogy/Exhibits (note: these are not the exact folder names, but illustrate the point). When I try to load these exhibits directly from within TMG v9, I get a "File . . . not found" error, in which the wrong (i.e., shorter) path is specified. The TMG v9 properties for the exhibits also give the wrong path. However, when I try to load the same exhibits from TMG v8, everything seems to work properly. Two questions:  (1) What has gone wrong here, and (2) How can I fix it??  Thanks for any help!!

#2 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

Use the external exhibits feature of Validate File Integrity. Add the appropriate base folder(s) to the 'List of folders for location' screen and click the [Search in subfolders] button to enable the recursive tree search. VFI will update the exhibit paths.

#3 Amelie

Amelie
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

Ditto to what dgmock said.

So what is VFI and where do I find it?

TIA

Amelie

#4 Virginia Blakelock

Virginia Blakelock
  • Moderators
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:12 AM

VFI is on the top menu: File / Maintenance / Validate File Integrity.   For more information, see Help / Validate File Integrity.

Virginia

Win7 Professional x64

#5 dgmock

dgmock
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:20 AM

Thanks, guys! This solved my problem easily and immediately.  Wish all problems were that simple!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users