sam.m

Issues /Comments and Wishlist - etc

Just some rambling regarding TMG7 (Please see this as ways to improve tmg)

Issues:

1- No way to cancel autosearch on the "import Wizard"

2- Person tab - Details Section - the type/value (box) - would like to be able to expand the section

so to be able to see all the tags in that box (so you don't have to scroll down)

(or even to just convert this box to a single line under the type/name box eg: Reference/Children/Soundex/Tag Count/Age/Last Edit )

(or have these tag appear in the "type/date/name/place" section at the top to the list like the Relation tag)

Terry: I was expecting with the new method of windows resizing, that when I increase the size of the window more information would display.

(I currently use the rearrange items from the "Other Info" box eg: Right-click on it and choose "Customize...")

3-Family tab - Details section - used display (children in version 4?) less relevant today.

4-On the Detail screen (why are the 3 tabs(Person/Family/Tree) together) can they be seperated and 2 extra buttons added to the tool bar?

5-Please additional Keyboard Controls - Where tabs appear can we please have an option (in addition to the arrows) to use "CTRL+Page Up/Down) to cycle thru the tabs eg:on the Details section/ and the Options section in say charts (instead of using an arrow after tabing thru all the options)

6.previously submited with no response in 2006

----

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ic=5906&hl=

24 Jun 2006, 04:48 PM

While using TMG, I have multiple(10-15) people opened, and each of the program title bars are identical

for example "Main.PJC - The Master Genealogist".

While this helps me choose the correct database, this makes it difficult to work out which instance I need to view with out selecting each individual and checking!

I would like to know if I can make TMG Display the current person's details in Title Bar of Program

for example "John Doe (1324) (1845 - 1890) : Main.PJC - The Master Genealogist" .

This would improve TMG's already great useability.

Any one? or should this be sent to support?

--

Thank you

Edited by altogatto

- Person tab - Details Section - the type/value (box) - would like to be able to expand the section so to be able to see all the tags in that box (so you don't have to scroll down)

You can rearrange the order of the items in the "Other Info" box so that the three you most want to see are visible. Right-click on it and choose "Customize..."

-On the Detail screen (why are the 3 tabs(Person/Family/Tree) together) can they be seperated and 2 extra buttons added to the tool bar?

I suppose they are there because they relate to that screen only. You can turn them off and either use the right-click menu or the hot keys to switch views.

While using TMG, I have multiple(10-15) people opened, and each of the program title bars are identical for example "Main.PJC - The Master Genealogist".

While this helps me choose the correct database, this makes it difficult to work out which instance I need to view with out selecting each individual and checking!

Most programs that open files put the file name in the title bar. I've never seen on that added more detail than that. I don't even know if it's possible.

While using TMG, I have multiple(10-15) people opened, and each of the program title bars are identical

Thank you

You have 10-15 instances of a single TMG project open, each instance to a different person in that project? Is there some reason for multiple instances of the same project? Would it work for your purposes (and make for a less confusing taskbar) to put the 10-15 people into a Focus Group in a single instance of TMG and select each person from there?

Virginia

You can rearrange the order of the items in the "Other Info" box so that the three you most want to see are visible. Right-click on it and choose "Customize..."

Thank you currently using this method. I was expecting with the new method of windows resizing, that when I increase the size of the window more information would display.

Most programs that open files put the file name in the title bar. I've never seen on that added more detail than that. I don't even know if it's possible.

Two good examples are Microsoft Office and Firefox so it is very possible

Visual Fox Pro is very capable of this see:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/y...hww(VS.71).aspx

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/w...x68(VS.80).aspx

You have 10-15 instances of a single TMG project open, each instance to a different person in that project? Is there some reason for multiple instances of the same project? Would it work for your purposes (and make for a less confusing taskbar) to put the 10-15 people into a Focus Group in a single instance of TMG and select each person from there?

Virginia

Different projects open on different people and sometimes the same person but on a different details tab (the detail tab is a problem as you can not have two details windows open at the same time eg: Person and Tree within the same instance)

I do use the Focus Group where possible.

Example of what multiple open tmg's look like from the tool bar

post-2492-1199234296_thumb.jpg

Difficult to see which person to select. Would like it to be more in line with say Microsoft Office.

Difficult to see which person to select. Would like it to be more in line with say Microsoft Office.

No, No, No. I hated Microsoft Word so much at work that I retired early. It does what it wants when it wants, regardless of your intent. I certainly don't want TMG to lose its intuitive features.

We're using Word Perfect, Lotus Notes and QuattroPro at home in a Microsoft Free Zone. We don't WANT Microsoft Word or Excel files sent to us in a message. grrr. If it's that much of a monopoly, Mickeysoft needs to be broken up. Arrrrgh. It's 9 more months until "Talk Like A Pirate Day".

No, No, No. I hated Microsoft Word so much at work that I retired early. It does what it wants when it wants, regardless of your intent. I certainly don't want TMG to lose its intuitive features.

We're using Word Perfect, Lotus Notes and QuattroPro at home in a Microsoft Free Zone. We don't WANT Microsoft Word or Excel files sent to us in a message. grrr. If it's that much of a monopoly, Mickeysoft needs to be broken up. Arrrrgh. It's 9 more months until "Talk Like A Pirate Day".

hmm only talking about the program title bars working like Microsoft Office or Firefox so that it displays information about the person display in the title bar. Nothing else :(

<snip>

4-On the Detail screen (why are the 3 tabs(Person/Family/Tree) together) can they be separated and 2 extra buttons added to the tool bar?

----

5 - http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ic=5906&hl=

24 Jun 2006, 04:48 PM

I would like to know if I can make TMG Display the current person's details in Title Bar of Program

for example "John Doe (1324) (1845 - 1890) : Main.PJC - The Master Genealogist" .

<snip>

Unfortunately my edit of the above, did not take and the complete message redisplayed, apologies to all.

I am interested in possible ways to improve tmg. And believe that the two wishes, I mention in this edited(2008/1/20) message may do that.

For Wish 4 the "Detail screen" is currently made up of 3 tabs(Person/Family/Tree) -

*What I am requesting is that the "Detail screen" be brought in to line with the rest of TMG's other screens that can be displayed independently of each other.

This would mean that on screen you would be able to see (if you choose) the Person tab, next to the Family tab and Tree tab (except the tabs would be independent of each other. (I can create a image of what I mean if that helps)

As a bonus wish it would be great to have the "Other Info" box from the Person tab separated out also or the information from this box optional shown inside the Person tabs tab display area.

I previously researched and provided that information for the programmer to implement wish 5 Title Display of Databases

Thank you for your answers.

2- Person tab - Details Section - the type/value (box) - would like to be able to expand the section

so to be able to see all the tags in that box (so you don't have to scroll down)

(or even to just convert this box to a single line under the type/name box eg: Reference/Children/Soundex/Tag Count/Age/Last Edit )

(or have these tag appear in the "type/date/name/place" section at the top to the list like the Relation tag)

I have no idea what you're saying but the Tag Box can already be adjusted to display only one line per tag. Use the right-click menu to adjust this.

Sam, what is it that you are suggesting be added to the wishlist?

1- No way to cancel autosearch on the "import Wizard"

No doubt this is an annoyance, but I've never heard anyone else mention it.

Expand it how? You can already make it full screen- there is no more room to expand. As you were already told in this topic, you can already display one line per tag.

3-Family tab - Details section - used display (children in version 4?) less relevant today.

So what are you suggesting? That it be removed? Can't you just not use it if it doesn't work for you?

4-On the Detail screen (why are the 3 tabs(Person/Family/Tree) together) can they be seperated and 2 extra buttons added to the tool bar?

As your were already told in this topic, you can already remove them. You can't use add toolbar buttons to switch, but you can use the right-click menu or hot keys to do that. Is your suggestion to provide for toolbar buttons?

5-Please additional Keyboard Controls - Where tabs appear can we please have an option (in addition to the arrows) to use "CTRL+Page Up/Down) to cycle thru the tabs eg:on the Details section/ and the Options section in say charts (instead of using an arrow after tabing thru all the options)

Are you talking about the tabs in the Details window, or moving between windows?

6. While using TMG, I have multiple(10-15) people opened, and each of the program title bars are identical

The direct answer is you cannot. As to whether the program can be changed to do that, and whether it would be a good idea, I have no clue.

Sam, re "Person tab - Details Section - the type/value (box)", this is technically the 'Other Info' box, and - if you use it a lot - I see how it might be helpful to view all the information at once rather than scrolling down. Best you can do for now is to rearrange the items so as to have the most-used at the top.

Virginia

Sam,

Sorry, I misunderstood your item #2 - I thought you were talking about the main "Tag Box" since you said you wante to see all the tags. Virginia has pointed out that you apparently meant the "Other Info" box.

Unfortunately my edit of the above, did not take and the complete message redisplayed, apologies to all.

I am interested in possible ways to improve tmg. And believe that the two wishes, I mention in this edited(2008/1/20) message may do that.

For Wish 4 the "Detail screen" is currently made up of 3 tabs(Person/Family/Tree) -

*What I am requesting is that the "Detail screen" be brought in to line with the rest of TMG's other screens that can be displayed independently of each other.

This would mean that on screen you would be able to see (if you choose) the Person tab, next to the Family tab and Tree tab (except the tabs would be independent of each other. (I can create a image of what I mean if that helps)

As a bonus wish it would be great to have the "Other Info" box from the Person tab separated out also or the information from this box optional shown inside the Person tabs tab display area.

I previously researched and provided that information for the programmer to implement wish 5 Title Display of Databases

Thank you for your answers.

If you mean the three views simultaneously, I wonder how much demand there would be for that, Sam, given how easy it is to switch views using the tabs or the rightclick menu. What advantage do you see? Certainly it would not leave much room for the other windows that most of us have in our layouts ('favorite layout' thread here and more recently here).

Virginia

If you mean the three views simultaneously, I wonder how much demand there would be for that, Sam, given how easy it is to switch views using the tabs or the rightclick menu. What advantage do you see? Certainly it would not leave much room for the other windows that most of us have in our layouts ('favorite layout' thread here and more recently here).

Virginia

Great discussions, interesting to see how other people use tmg. Here is my currently used layout.

post-2492-1232864096_thumb.jpg

You can see three instances of tmg running, and notice that "Detail" tabs are turned off.

As for how much demand, I do not know, that why it is a wish, I'd like to believe if it was available people would use. One advantage would be quick navigation.

I would be happy with two views simultaneously, because ideally "Details - family" & "Details - Tree" could be combined into a single Details screen called say for example "Details - family tree"

In "Details - family tree" the display would be a hybrid of the two with "Details - Tree" at the top and "Details - family" below.

The duplicated individuals & BMD in "Details - family"(see my layout) for (Frank Alexander) and his mother & father can be shown on the top section. The spouses information (mary catherine) would have the BMD details as well as her parent BMD information.

Bonus: with the space below the husband and wife: display their photo's (optionally of course) and for the "X Children" show photo's if possible, so it would be a whole family snap shot at a glance.

Oh well, bringing head back down from clouds.