robinkaspar

Running TMG under Parallels

I have been trying to get TMG 6.12 to recognize my shared folder for saving reports. I can browse to the folder but when I click "print and save" it tells me drive Z does not exist. It recognizes that drive for saving backups, why not reports?

I am trying to come up with a workable backup solution for Time Machine without having to backup my entire Parallels file. Any manual backups on the Windows side that I can avoid, the better.

How are y'all handling this?

Robin in Short Pump

Robin:

I use Parallels to run Quicken on my Mac. I backup to a folder on my desktop and then copy the backup file directly to my Shared Folder on PC which shows at the top of the screen. When I go back to the Mac, the Quicken backup file is included in my regular Mac backups. It is easy and my backup file is on both machines.

I have not yet moved TMG to the Mac, but expect it will work the same.

No drives are involved!

Hope this helps!

Francie

Robin,

Most active users are only following the TMG version 7 forum, so you might get more responses by posting there. While I don't have an answer about your alternate Z drive, I know that I have seen many responses on both this Forum and the ListServ of people that use TMG in Parallels so you might get more help there. Many use and like Parallels and claim TMG works even better there than under native Windows.

Edited by mjh

Robin:

I use Parallels to run Quicken on my Mac. I backup to a folder on my desktop and then copy the backup file directly to my Shared Folder on PC which shows at the top of the screen. When I go back to the Mac, the Quicken backup file is included in my regular Mac backups. It is easy and my backup file is on both machines.

I have not yet moved TMG to the Mac, but expect it will work the same.

No drives are involved!

Hope this helps!

Francie

May I ask why you do it this way? Will Quicken not allow you to save it directly to the shared folder? We use Mac Quicken, so don't have this issue. I don't want to settle for a two-step process if there's a bug afoot that could be fixed, or if it does work and there's just a detail I'm missing. (and just to be clear, there aren't any physical "drives" involved here, my Parallels shared folder is considered "network drive Z"

Is your shared folder set up the same way? Maybe my husband set mine up wrong...

Robin

Robin contacted me off-list and I replied off-list. Since others will have this issue with Parallels & TMG I'm posting my reply to Robin here.

I had the same problem. The solution is simple.

Drive Z is the default Parallels shared network drive for access to the Mac file system, however as you have seen the report writer in TMG does not recognize drive Z.

You need to map the folder to a drive letter in the Parallels VM. This needs to be done when the VM is not running.

Parallels > Edit > Virtual Machine...

In the Configuration Editor

left pane: select Shared Folders

right pane: Enable (check) User-defined folders, & enable (check) Map folders to drive letters

click the + to Add

In Add Shared Folder

Name: your choice

Path: /Users/your_user_name/Documents/your_reports_folder

Description: your choice

Enabled (checked)

Click OK, Click OK to exit the Config Editor

Restart the VM .........

There will be a new network drive Y (or whatever), in the TMG report writer send your reports to drive Y.

Some additional issues are also noted:

I'm seeing an issue with both v6.12 & v7 where I can't overwrite an existing report. TMG recognized there is a report and asks if I want to overwrite, if I answer Yes, I get a message dialog that says "The output file is in use by another application or cannot be deleted." Retry? Retry brings up the same message repeatedly, the simple workaround is to just give the file a new name.

On occasion I get an error message that the file cannot be created, when this occurs I find a 0Kb file in the report folder which has to be deleted.

Also this isn't consistent, at times I get another error message and I think it is related to opening the report after it is generated, in those instances the file is created. I set the option in TMG Report Preferences to: Never ask; do not open the file.

TMG isn't the only win app that has issues of this type running in a VM and saving files to OS X.