qjette

Remove Indviduals from Project

Need help removing a large group of Individuals from my main TMG project.  I have created a separate Project for this group but they still remain in my original Project and I wish to remove them. Sure it must be something simple I am missing. 

How did you create a separate Project of this group of individuals?  Did you use a Flag (e.g. FLAGNAME='Y') for a Filter and the Secondary Output of a report to create the separate Project?

If so, you can do the reverse using a reverse filter (e.g. FLAGNAME='N') and the Secondary Output, BUT...

As I mention in my on-line book in the section Project Files with Customizations, to retain all your customizations of your main project you must do this in steps.  If you simply create a new "Project" you will lose your customizations and create a new Project using the standard TMG defaults of any new Project.  However, if you create a new "Dataset" within an existing Project, that new Dataset will retain the customizations of that Project.  As with any major action to a Project always do a backup first.  Then do the following steps:

• Create a new "Dataset" within your main Project using the Secondary Output with a filter which selects everyone except the large group of individuals you removed (e.g. FLAGNAME='N').  Assuming you are starting with only one Dataset this will create a new Dataset numbered "2".
  • Now use the Dataset Manager feature on the main TMG File menu and Delete the original main Dataset, which should still be the Dataset numbered "1".  (This is safe because you did do the backup first, right?)  Accept the suggestion to Optimize the Project.
  • Finally use the Dataset Manager to renumber the remaining smaller Dataset which is still numbered "2" to Dataset numbered "1".
  • To finish, run the Optimize / Validate / Optimize routines and make a new backup of this new smaller Project.

Your Project will now retain your customizatons, and the original ID numbers for individuals, but only have everyone except your group of separated people, and thus have gaps in your ID numbers.  If you wish to use these now unused ID numbers when you add new people, use the F2 keyboard function key as described in my book here.

Hope this is what you desire,

Michael

Michael has told you how to move the people to a new Project. But I thought you have already done that and now just want to remove them from the original Project. 

If that is you question, the easiest way to do that is to Move them (Edit > Move Person(s) command) to a new Data Set you create in the Project. Once all of them are moved, delete the new Data Set.

Terry and Michael,

Thanks to both of you for answering my request. Yes I have already moved 474 'people' to a new PROJECT, not interested in retaining custom settings, etc in that PROJECT. The goal now is just to remove the 473 from my main project and not renumber the remaining records in the main project.  To create the group of 473 I use a FLAG=Y. My main problem is how to remove the 474 from my MAIN PROJECT. And yes I did BACKUP the original PROJECT. Makes me really nervous to mess around with my database, I am very unsure of what I am doing, although I am a long time TMG user.

Can't imagine why I did not think of MOVE as a solution to my problem. Appreciate your help.

Nancy

You're welcome, Nancy. 

"Move" isn't exactly an obvious way to delete people. "Delete" would seem to be the way to do that, but as you know you can't delete people until you remove their connections to others. So it turns out "Move" is a way around that when you are talking about a number of people.

Haven't had the nerve to MOVE my 474 'people' yet. Just want to be sure that I have the correct folks. It might help if I could capture the FILTER PROGRESS SCREEN that briefly appears following the activation of the FILTER. Would be handy to know who I have added to the list, spouses, ancestors, etc.  Is there a setting that would lengthen the time the FILTER PROGRESS SCREEN is available on screen? Thanks!

Nancy