Sign in to follow this  
crmarks4

questionable/unproven ancestors

I find that I have recorded  fathers and/or mothers for some individuals  that are questionable or unproven. I would like to keep the clues, but not have them reported as Ancestors.   I would appreciate ideas on how  I might do this. I thought about using father-oth and mother-oth.

The only way to prevent parent connections from being output is to make the relationship tags non-primary.

The extensions on relationship tags have no meaning to TMG. They are just there for you to have a way to notate how you view the relationship. For report output, Father-Oth is no different from Father-Bio. The only thing that makes a difference is whether the relationship tag is primary or non-primary. 

How and why did you post in the Chat forum? The Chat forum is basically a unused moribund part of the message board since chats no longer occur. If I try to open the Chat Room, I get a 404 error.

thanks for the info.  Do you have a suggestion on how I should record the information?

I posted to the chat room because had to guess on where to post it.  for future post what should I have done?  

You're asking about how to use TMG so if you are running TMG9, the TMG9 forum is appropriate.

You could use a Father-Can or Mother-Can tag (can=candidate) and set the relationship tags non-primary. Relationship tags have a memo field so you can record your notes about the candidate person as needed.

Alternatively, you could create a custom note tag names Candidate (Father) or Candidate (Mother)  and record your notes about the candidate person in that tag. Set the sentence to -[M] so that it doesn't output to reports and set the GEDCOM export for the tag type to 1 EVEN 2 TYPE so that the tag will export to other programs.

I agree with Jim's original suggestion.  I use a "Can" type of Relationship tag for this kind of information, but make sure NOT to set that candidate parent Relationship tag as Primary for the child.  Note that the "Can" Relationship tag type is a custom tag type, so you have to add that type to the Tag Type List if you have not already done so.  In Tools // Tag Type List, click the Add button.  In the Tag Group, click the button for "Parent/child relationship".  Now set the Label to "Can".  TMG will propagate the Tag Type List with all the many Father-Can, Mother-Can, Son-Can, Dau-Can, variations automatically.  Now you can add such a tag type, cite sources to this tag, and include a memo.  In most TMG reports, and in SecondSite, you can select to output these memos, but these tags do not produce sentences.

Hope this gives you ideas.