Yesterday I was entering several new people into my family tree in TMG v9 and I was using the TMG F2 feature to use all of my “skipped” person ID numbers (from people that I had deleted).  I didn’t realize it but I finished using all the “skipped” numbers  and I continued using F2 to select "unused" (but now new) numbers when TMG “blinked” and my ID numbers went from 4222 to 512892.  I cannot get TMG to recognize my last person’s ID as 4221 and make my next person’s ID number 4222.  Can anyone help me?

Thanks

John

Filling unused ID#s really serves no purpose. I never change ID#s since they are the base of my filing system.

The next ID# should be the last used plus 1. You don't use F2 to get that.

You did change the high ID# to the next available before the gap?

Have you tried reindexing?

Something really bad happened to get the REF_ID numbers to jump like that.

If it were me, I'd revert to the last backup before this happened. You could send me your project to check before you do anything (a backup with project files, accents and filters only).

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram

I tried renumbering and TMG started with the 6-digit number in lieu of the number 1 and for my second person it reverted to the number 2 and continued on in perfect order.  So I've abandoned that approach.  How do I load a back up file?  I close the existing file. I can find the back up file but it is in a <*.sqz">  extension and it doesn't want to load.  

John

Edited by John Graff

First you might look at the topic about renumbering people in TMG which I mention in my on-line book:

https://www.mjh-nm.net/STYLE.HTML#Numbering

It describes a number of issues about renumbering.  There is also a footnote which links to a "bug" report which describes some renumbering behavior which you might find unexpected.

Second, you do not "load/open" a .sqz file.  It is a single file which contains the compressed large number of database files which are the project.  You must "restore" a backup file.  However, it would be wise to create a new separate Windows folder which can be specified as where the project will be recreated from the backup file.  You can select this new folder as part of the restore actions.  That way you could examine the resulting recreated project separately and be sure you want to use it instead of your current project.  If instead you tell the restore to use the folder where your current project resides, the restore will completely overwrite the current project with the backup which may cause you to lose a lot of data entry work.