loribragg

Documentation

Is there anyone out there that uses tmg to store absolutely all of their documentation and evidence? This would include scanned paper files, emails, saved digital files – some saved as .jpgs, some as NetSnippets or Local Website Archives, My Ancestry images or links saved at Ancestry.com, similar links at other websites (Scotland’s People, Origins, etc), family photos saved digitally…. It seems like every time I turn around there is another pile I have forgotten about!

I am wondering how well tmg works for this purpose. I've read the problems in tracking the relative vs absolute paths which I can see would be a problem sometimes but also things like attaching the doc to all possible people or events and then finding easily again later. Does the "filing system" get cumbersome after awhile?

I am wondering because I really am getting confused with documentation all over the place and trying to tie it all together for a family book is becoming a nightmare! Maybe as I have learned to use TMG for so much else it will solve this problem as well?

Thanks, Lori Bragg

Well,

Yes, I am getting there. <G>

First off, I created a separate IMGtag for all my tags. That way I can tell on the PV screen if the image is scanned in. I also attach the document to the source. (I don't currently scan in narratives from books)

I have a directory used only for TMG called PICTURES. Under PICTURES is each surname that corresponds with a SURNAME folder in my filing cabinet. Under SURNAME is DOCUMENT type. Those match the three ring binders in my Surname hanging file folders. Under those I have person's name. That matches the Document name in the DOCUMENT TYPE folder in the filing cabinet.

So PICTURES/GHEE/WILLS/JOHN.JPG is the same as GHEE/WILLS/JOHN GHEE'S WILL in my filing cabinet. Each document is given a number, (TMG assigns) and that number is used both on the document and as part of my source output.

Is it hard to follow, NO, but you have to be consistent in naming folders in both the physical filing cabinet, and the virtual one as well.

Once documents are scanned, I file them away and don't take them out any more. I use the ones within TMG from then on. I scan them and keep them fairly large, so I can use them in SS and TMG and print a copy if someone needs it. Or email them one.

I have one source per document and I find that is better to use than lumping sources if you want to use TMG to help with your filing system. It can be done, and once you set everything up, you will be glad you took the time.

Lori,

Another thing. I would save all those online links to a file folder within PICTURES and then link to them via TMG using the Web Links.

I have the two links set up as TN links and VA links, and have linked information found on the counties of each of those states saved on my harddrive. That makes it very easy to find all those websites again easily. If you don't want to save them to your harddrive, you can link to them online through TMG.

Now that Jim has publicly stated on behalf of support that Image and Internal document storage and viewing in TMG is alive and well as long as the proper upgrade path to TMG 6.07 is used, perhaps it is time to take another look at XMP metadata storage with keywords.

I also just noticed in control Panel that Pixvue (Pixvue.com) has taken the liberty of setting itself up as a separate category in XP Control Panel.

Pixvue is one of many interesting photo indexing utilities. It has taken the latest Adobe metadata templates for image files, standardized them, and made keywords easily searchable with Windows Indexing Service, as well as Google Desktop, etc.

Adobe has announced plans to standardize metadata fields for PDF files as well. MS Windows Doc files and OpenOffice.org Writer odt files each have various metadata properties fields for use by the end user.

Whether you want you life history in every doc and jpg file that passes your way is another matter.

But it is worth looking into. TMG is already installing a Media Viewer for images that has built in XMP metadata support. But TMG is apparently not using the metadata fields yet, which is good, for there is a memory leak in the version in TMG 6.07 according to the devlelopers of that program.

John M.

Thanks Theresa.  It seems a daunting task but I'm not sure there are any other tools out there.

Lori

Lori,

You might want to take look at a tool called CLOOZ. It's a program designed to do most of what you want.

Phil