Prognatus

String is too long to fit - RESOLVED

Hello, :)

I'm fairly new to TMG. Although I've owned a user licence for every version since v4, it's just recently that I've taken a more serious look at it and started to transfer all my data from another genealogy program.

Yesterday I got an error at startup. Here's link to a screendump:

tmgstarterror24yd.th.jpg

Maybe this has something to do with that I'm using a norwegian string set?

Anyway, I pressed Cancel on that dialog, the program exited and I restarted it again. This time there was no error message.

Is any data corrupted after this, do you think?

...and how do I know for sure?

Edited by Prognatus

Hi,

you say the error directly occurs on startup, right?

May be it indicates that the path name where TMG is installed on your computer is too long?

May be I'm wrong but I seem to remember when using WIN XP as operating system it's limited up to 128 characters.

Can you please check or let us now the exact path name?

And after the error occurred you were able to run TMG without incident? Is that right? Or have I misinterpreted your post?

If you're able to run TMG without any error message then you should also be able to open your project within TMG and check whether it's OK.

If you don't want to this immediately then please try to open TMG's Sample Project first and see what happens.

Please keep us informed how things are going on.

you say the error directly occurs on startup, right?

Hello, Vera!

Yes, that's right. But only once.

May be it indicates that the path name where TMG is installed on your computer is too long?

May be I'm wrong but I seem to remember when using WIN XP as operating system it's limited up to 128 characters.

Can you please check or let us now the exact path name?

My install path is "C:\Program Files\TMG" in Windows XP.
And after the error occurred you were able to run TMG without incident? Is that right?
Yes. After I pressed cancel on the error dialog the program stopped and when I restarted it again everything seemed to work as before.
If you're able to run TMG without any error message then you should also be able to open your project within TMG and check whether it's OK.
My project opens automaticly when the program starts, and it looks OK, but how can I tell for sure? I seem to remember a tool for database consistency check somewhere... will that be sufficient? Edited by Prognatus

Hi Bjorn,

(I hope that's correct B) )

Many thanks for the detailed answers.

I seem to remember a tool for database consistency check somewhere... will that be sufficient?

TMG itself has a build-in tool to "Validate File Integrity" (VFI) it's in File > Maintenance. I would recommend that you run it.

At the end of the checking process it tells you whether potential problems have been encountered and fixed.

Then run Optimize also within File > Maintenance.

If VFI has encountered any potential problems in the step before then please run that sequence again until VFI states "No problems found."

Additionally you might want to look into TMG's main folder and open the file "Error.txt" with a texteditor (!!) and check whether it shows any kind of error messages dated when you got the error you reported.

If the error.txt file contains those messages please copy them and post them in your next reply.

Hi Bjorn,

(I hope that's correct  B) )

Close enough. :) It's actually with a slashed letter o, but you need a norwegian keyboard to type that. I use just "Bjorn" myself when filling out online forms etc. to avoid any problems with missing typesets in the recipient's database and/or printouts.
Many thanks for the detailed answers.
It should be me thanking for your help...! So thank you for replying, Vera! :)
TMG itself has a build-in tool to "Validate File Integrity" (VFI) it's in File > Maintenance. I would recommend that you run it.

At the end of the checking process it tells you whether potential problems have been encountered and fixed.

Done it now and it said it corrected 2 potentional problems (but didn't say what it was). So I ran it once more, and this time it reported no problems.
Then run Optimize also within File > Maintenance.
Done. It shrinked my database with approximately 300 KB.
Additionally you might want to look into TMG's main folder and open the file "Error.txt" with a texteditor (!!) and check whether it shows any kind of error messages dated when you got the error you reported.

If the error.txt file contains those messages please copy them and post them in your next reply.

It contained a couple of messages:

06.03.17, 15:48:03 ok >C:\WINDOWS\system32\bbFolderTree.ocx was registered

06.03.17, 15:48:05 ok >C:\WINDOWS\system32\msdxm.ocx was registered

Edited by Prognatus

OK, Bjorn.

All in all that's good news and you / we did everything we could right now.

Hopefully the error was just some kind of a glitch and will never occur again. :blink:

If you need any further help or still worry about things, please let us know. You're welcome. :)

Yes, we'll leave it with that and hope it doesn't happen again, as you said.

Thank you for your help! :)

Hi Bjørn

It is quite likely that it will appear again. Since upgrading to 6.07, I have had the same error more than a couple of times at startup, but I never experienced any corruption of my data.

I have no idea what causes the error, but I could suspect it is related to the use of foreign languages. It happens during program initialisation where a large number of files are being opened and it looks like a pointer has been corrupted (maybe by some external program) so that unexpected data are being read and causing the overflow. I have not systematically checked what prior activity I had on the computer before the error. There are just too many possibilities.

And as you said, you only need to restart TMG and everything works again.

Jesper

Hi Jesper! :)
It is quite likely that it will appear again. Since upgrading to 6.07, I have had the same error more than a couple of times at startup, but I never experienced any corruption of my data.

I have no idea what causes the error, but I could suspect it is related to the use of foreign languages.

OK, it's good to hear others have had the same experiences and that no data is lost.
It happens during program initialisation where a large number of files are being opened and it looks like a pointer has been corrupted (maybe by some external program) so that unexpected data are being read and causing the overflow. I have not systematically checked what prior activity I had on the computer before the error. There are just too many possibilities.
Yes, I agree. It's like looking for the needle in the haystack. Maybe TMG should log these errors.

But since you mention external programs... I use GenSmarts also (well, I have installed it anyway and looked at it once). Do you use this program, and do you think it could be causing this error in TMG? Just a wild thought from the hip...

Hi Bjorn,

hi Jesper,

issue has been reported.

Please hold on.

Will get back to you ASAP.

Hi

Does anyone out there know anything about the current status of this "String is too long to fit" issue? I never actually encountered it in v6, but it has happened occasionally ever since I upgraded to v7. It happens to me in exactly the same manner as the OP reported. That is, once in a while, when I enter TMG, I get this same message. If I hit "Ignore", TMG seems to execute just fine, and I don't seem to have any problem with file corruption. If I immediately exit from TMG, and then reenter, I don't get the message. I am running under XP, and the project is located in a structure within the "My Documents" folder. The full path is fairly long, but still a little bit under 128 characters. What really has me confused is the occasional nature of the problem.

I have not yet posted a message about this problem on the v7 board.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Daugherty

Frederick, Maryland