Sign in to follow this  
strathglass

Repositories?

Can someone provide a brief explanation of how to use repositories?

I don't really have a good feel for how you use them to document sources.

Maybe the best thing is a sequence of good examples of what sources would logically have a repository, and what sources would not.

Thanks,

Strathglass.

Generally, repositories are used for sources which are not published and therefore not easy to find. Records found in government files and archives, or in private hands, typically call for mention of the place where they are found.

You could do that with regular source elements, or by entering that detail in the Comments field on the Source Definition screen. But if you have several sources from the same repository, entering that location as a Repository means you don't have to enter it again for each different source found there. Just create the Repository once, and attach it to the various sources.

Just to add a simple explainer... For example... A book can be the source for some of your data. The book might come from a library. The library is the repository. It's where the book came from and is located. The repository is linked to the source and repository source elements are added to the source templates. When the footnote or bibliography is printed, this tells people where you got your data and where to find the source.

Just to add a simple explainer... For example... A book can be the source for some of your data. The book might come from a library. The library is the repository. It's where the book came from and is located.

That explains the concept of a repository clearly.

But generally a published item like a book, unless it's quite rare, would not have its repository mentioned in citations because it is expected that a reader could find it easily in any number of libraries or elsewhere.

However if your source was a manucript found a major library, you would record the repository because it most likely can be found only in that one library.

Hi Strathglass,

I see you posted multiple questions, one per topic. Well, done. It makes it easier. :)

While Terry and Jim are absolutely correct on the classic definitions of the terms "repository" and "source', I am one of those that likes to "think outside the box" and consider simply what these database entities are in TMG. Of course, these database entities were created to serve the classic definitions, but :rolleyes: can be used in a customized manner in all sorts of non-classic ways.

I choose to view these two entities as simply levels of a heirarchy that include Citations, Sources, and Repositories. In database terms these are all implemented in what is known as the "one-to-many" relationship. One Repository entry can be linked to many Sources, and one Source can be linked to many Citations. You are in complete control of what data fields from each you chose to place in the Full Footnote, Short Footnote, and Bibliography templates, with the exception that citation fields cannot be used in the Bibliography templates.

So... what does this mean? Place in a TMG Repository entry things that you want to repeat commonly across multiple Sources and link all those Sources to that one Repository. And place in the TMG Source entry things that you want to repeat commonly across multiple Citations, and link all those Citations.

While most people use these TMG entities in the "classic" way, and the default FF, SS, and B templates assume that usage model, if you understand the underlying concept of how these TMG entities are related in the database then their uses are only limited by your imagination. One of the best examples of a non-standard use of these entities is by Teresa Elliott. She has her templates customized to use a film roll as her TMG Repository entry, and can thus repeat the common roll information when she refers to multiple sources on that single film roll. You might check the archives for a more complete definition of her system.

Hope this gives you ideas, :D

... But generally a published item like a book, unless it's quite rare, would not have its repository mentioned in citations because it is expected that a reader could find it easily in any number of libraries or elsewhere.
Very true, Terry, but there is always the exeption ;) I have a reference to a book that has handwritten notations in the margin by the author. Since that specific copy of the book is unique, even though the book exists in many libraries I needed to make a point of citing the Repository, since another reader would have to go to that specific repository to see that specific copy to view those margin notes that I cited. Of course, like you said, that would make this copy "quite rare".

Strathglass, hope this gives yet one more example of repository versus source, B)

[Edited to correct the quote attribution]

Edited by mjh

Michael,

I didn't write that. Terry did. I think that a user should use the repository source elements wherever and whenever he/she cares to use them. I personally use repository links and repository source elements for all books and make no assumptions about how widely distributed a book might be. I record source information with the intent that the user should be able to locate the source material that I used without needing to search for it.

Jim

I am going to add my method, because it works so well for me. Instead of using the building,, house, person, for my repository, I use the Deed Book, Census roll, Microfilm roll for my repository.

My place styles for Microfilm are: <[Name of County], ><[book Type], ><[Roll Number], ><[Archives], ><[City], ><[County], ><[state] ><[FHL Film Number]>

By doing this, I can set up research tasks for a certain Deed Book, Will Book, Microfilm etc. Luckily most of my research is in TN, and they have inventoried all their microfilm so it's easy to create a repository for a roll of film.

Let say I am going to work today on Rutherford County Roll 287, Birth and Death records 1881-1935. My repository would be: Rutherford County, TN, Death and Birth Records 1881-1882, Birth and Death Records 1881-1912, Birth Records 1915-1935 , Roll #287, Tennessee State Library and Archives, Nashville, TN.

Now let's say I want to set up a research task for people born in Rutherford County between 1915-1935, I 'd first filter the PE for everyone born between 1915 and 1935 and create tasks for them using a Birth Tag and a To DO LIST role. I would attach my new repository to the task. Now when the film comes in, I would print myself a list of tasks for that repository and one by one look the people up on the microfilm. If they are found, I change the birth role to Child, from ToDo List, and then update the task.

Then I would create the source. I would use the Birth Certificate as the source, with the roll of film as the repository. That way I only have to type the data about the films once.

To get them to show in the MRL in order, I name them: County Code ® Roll Number-Name. That way the repositories show on the list in microfilm order.

Michael,

I didn't write that. Terry did.

Sorry Jim (and Terry). My misattribution. :wacko: I have edited/corrected the posting.

I think that a user should use the repository source elements wherever and whenever he/she cares to use them. I personally use repository links and repository source elements for all books and make no assumptions about how widely distributed a book might be. I record source information with the intent that the user should be able to locate the source material that I used without needing to search for it.

Jim

Actually, so do I. I currently have a Repository for every Source. I also use the Source Comments field and include that field in my Bibliography templates to make comments about that particular source in that particular repository (e.g. pages 46-47 were blotched with spilt ink...)

Edited by mjh

Currently I have one for most sources and about 40 sources have 15-20. GRR. In the process of deleting the extras. I swear I have deleted these before and they are rearing their ugly heads again.