Sign in to follow this  
Morbius

V7.0 Validation/Problems

I just recently upgraded from V5.something to V7. I importated the V5 data into V7 by creating a backup in V5 then restoring the backup in V7. I worked with the new screens, etc a couple of days and noticed it seemed to be running slow compared to V5. I ran the three maintenance programs "Reindex", "Optimize", and "Validate File Integrity" in that order. When the computer completed "Validate File Integrity" I got a message that read

"Validation Complete 34,670 Potential Problems Fixed."

The number alone is pretty scary. and I am wondering if I should be worried about it since they were "fixed" and if there is something else I should do to ensure the validity of my data. I still have the V5something files (not overwriting the old program and its files is a really good idea).

I would appreciate any thoughts and comments other users might have.

Jim Claunch

Don't panic. From memory the "Validate File Integrity" function was added sometime in the life of Version 6 and it always reported a large number of "potential problems" the first time that it ran. For piece of mind you might want to rerun VFI until it reports no issues.

When the computer completed "Validate File Integrity" I got a message that read

"Validation Complete 34,670 Potential Problems Fixed."

This is data table housekeeping and not a concern.

You want to run optimize after Validate File Integrity gives a return of n 'potential problems fixed'.

As Neil and Jim said, many have found that you want to run both Optimize and Validate File Integrity (VFI) together, especially after an update. Usually you run Optimize first, then VFI. If you get errors reported by VFI, then run the Optimize/VFI pair again. Keep doing that pair until VFI gives you no errors. At that point run one last Optimize, and you are now good to go.