John K

Two more footnote questions

TMG prints "Name of Person" differently depending on whether it is a full footnote, a short footnote, or a bibliography entry. Can this be overridden - so the for a specified Source Type the full name is shown in the short footnote, and/or the name is shown in the bibliography in the order "first, middle, last"?

Before I can delete a source I receive a prompt listing the number of times it is cited. This warning goes on to say "Additional citations may be embedded in memos. You can enable a search for any embedded citations on the prompts tab in Preferences." I therefore went to Preferences and checked (first) "prompt me each time," and (later) "never prompt, always search." However, these seem to have no effect. I receive the same prompt every time I try to delete a source, and I am never told if the source I am trying to delete is used by any embedded citations. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you again.

TMG prints "Name of Person" differently depending on whether it is a full footnote, a short footnote, or a bibliography entry. Can this be overridden - so the for a specified Source Type the full name is shown in the short footnote, and/or the name is shown in the bibliography in the order "first, middle, last"?

Yes, TMG automatially produces names in footnotes to match the recommendations of style guides. The full name is shown the first time a source is cited, the surname only is used after that, and for the bibliography the name is printed surname first (so the notes will be alphabetized correctly in the bibliography).

The only way to change that at the Source Type level is to use a source element for the name that is not in one of the groups intended for names - only those groups produce that result. You will then need to enter the names in exactly the format you want them to print, since no automatic management will be provided.

You can change it in individual sources by entering the name in the format Given Name Surname instead of the usual way. When you don't enter the comma, no rearrangement takes place.

Before I can delete a source I receive a prompt listing the number of times it is cited. This warning goes on to say "Additional citations may be embedded in memos. You can enable a search for any embedded citations on the prompts tab in Preferences." I therefore went to Preferences and checked (first) "prompt me each time," and (later) "never prompt, always search." However, these seem to have no effect. I receive the same prompt every time I try to delete a source, and I am never told if the source I am trying to delete is used by any embedded citations. Am I doing something wrong?

This works correctly as far as I can see.

You always get the first warning messagebox with the source statistics and can decide if you really want to delete the source or not.

The second prompt messagebox ("Search for embedded citations to this source?") that the Preferences option controls is about whether to search or not. A search in a very large project can take a long time.

The Preferences option gives you the option to have a prompt about whether to search or not, to search with no prompt or to not search. If you search, any embedded citations found are deleted along with the source being deleted. There is no feedback from the removal process since it would serve no purpose.

TMG prints "Name of Person" differently depending on whether it is a full footnote, a short footnote, or a bibliography entry. Can this be overridden...
Hi John,

As others have mentioned, this is intentional behavior for the five "name" source element groups (Author, Compiler, Editor, Subject, Second Person). This behavior is "triggered" by the presence of a comma when you enter the text of the name. This is why these fields specify that you should enter names as surname followed by a comma followed by given name(s) and multiple names separated by semicolons. However if you fail to enter the comma (e.g. John Smith; Bill Jones) I believe you will get the full names with both given and surname in all types of footnotes. Of course this means that the given name appears first, for example, in the Bibliography, and you will be sorting based on given name not surname, which is probably inappropriate. An alternative way to accomplish exactly what you want is to not enter the names in these source elements. Instead hard code the names as text directly in the (now source unique) source templates themselves. TMG makes it easy to have your source documentation follow common standards, but usually also provides ways to customize your output to get exactly what you want.

Hope this gives you ideas,

This works correctly as far as I can see.

You always get the first warning messagebox with the source statistics and can decide if you really want to delete the source or not.

The second prompt messagebox ("Search for embedded citations to this source?") that the Preferences option controls is about whether to search or not. A search in a very large project can take a long time.

The Preferences option gives you the option to have a prompt about whether to search or not, to search with no prompt or to not search. If you search, any embedded citations found are deleted along with the source being deleted. There is no feedback from the removal process since it would serve no purpose.

Thank you. I appear to have not correctly understood what the search for embedded citations was designed to accomplish. Having experimented, I now see that if I elect to proceed with the deletion of a source, TMG will search for and delete embedded citations referencing that source.

What I was hoping for was a second warning, similar to the first one, telling me (BEFORE I must decide whether to proceed with the deletion) if there are any embedded citations using the source in question. Is there any way to accomplish this?

What I was hoping for was a second warning, similar to the first one, telling me (BEFORE I must decide whether to proceed with the deletion) if there are any embedded citations using the source in question. Is there any way to accomplish this?

You can run a List of Events report and search for the appropriate string in memos.