strathglass

Should a backup take an HOUR?

My backups are very slow. Is it normal for a backup to take on the order of an hour?

I have only about 600 people in my project. I have about 75 internal images too (taking up 95MB of space).

It seems to me backing up such a project should not take so long!

Regards,

Strathglass

No doubt it's not the 600 people, but the 95MB of imanges that is taking the time. This is one of the prime reasons for using external exhibits - not only the time it takes to create the backup, but also the disk space consumed saving multiple versions of mostly the same images.

Thanks Terry. I'll try to move all those pics to be external exhibits to see if that helps. I will report back in a few weeks!

TMG Utility has a feature to convert internal exhibits to external exhibits. It will take a few seconds to run, thought it may take you a few minutes to decide how to use it. Still, that's faster than a few weeks!

Thanks John. Yes, I had already found and run that utility!

The two weeks will be the time for me to get around to taking all those pictures and renaming and captioning them and loading them back into TMG (and also making sources where required as part of my ongoing db clean up)!

It would take a lot LONGER if I did NOT have your TMG utility! THanks!

-strathglass

Wow! I just don't see this at all!

My exhibits total about 66MB, I have a little over 174,000 people in my database, my backed-up file is about 128MB; my backup takes about 2 minutes, and I use "BACKUP ALL (project & customizations)" option.

My backup is slightly faster when I use a flash drive, but not a lot faster than when backed up to the hard drive.

Golly.

Edited by RadioHead

my backup takes about 7 minutes my project is 809 MB, i have lots of exhibits, internal, i want to change them to external, and was wondering where do most people make that external exhibit folder?

i did a sample to see how it would work with John's utility, and put them in the TMG exhibit folder and the back up took the same time, as it goes through each exihibit being backed up,

should the folder be outside the TMG folder?

when i was backing up, the option is greyed out to uncheck backup exhibits

i have been having problems restoring backups, and am hoping reducing the size of my project will help.

any suggestions on how people handle the external exhibits would be appreciated.

Kristina

I use a very basic approach for exhibits. All my exhibits are in one folder, D:\Exhibits. I have my project on two different PCs, and the paths are the same on both PCs:

D:\TMG Projects

D:\Exhibits

I never backup my exhibits with TMG. I make backups separately.

The exhibits are mostly (if not completely) copies of digital images that I keep in a separate location. So, for example, the same image might be stored as:

D:\Exhibits\05138-01.jpg

and

D:\Images\scanned\001\000329.jpg

In the first case, the number is the person's TMG ID# followed by a sequence number (Person 5138, image 01). The second file (the original, actually) is in a folder tree where I keep all my digital images. I use photo album software to keep track of dates, captions, etc.

Radiohead,

Are you using internal exhibits or external exhibits?

Ummm... to tell the absolute truth... I'm not quite sure. :whistling: Until about 5 minutes ago my backups took a space of about 128MB or so. When I backed up to the TMG default directory rather than my own designated directory... the backup became about 88MB; rather a significant difference.

Dang. I'm just not sure.