SarahRose

Best way for birth cert exhibit?

What is the best way to attach an exhibit, like a digital copy of a birth certificate?

It would seem like the repository would something like the bureau of vital statistics for the state, the source would be the birth certificate for the person, and the citation would link the source to the name tag of the person.

Since the source is the birth certificate, it would seem like this is where the exhibit of a digital copy of a birth certificate should be attached.

In the Details window and the person view, the exhibit log for the person is empty. Is there a setting I have missed??

This same birth certificate will be used as a source for the child's name, date and place of birth, mother's name & place of birth, and father's name and place of birth. Citations would be used on all of these tags pointing to the one source. Should this exhibit be attached to each citation?

Should this digital copy of the birth certificate be attached to each tag?

SarahRose

Sarah,

There's probably not a BEST way.

I created a special IMG tag for every tag in my database, like Birth-IMG, Death-IMG, Marriage-IMG.

Now I can attach the image to that tag.

The reason I did that is it allows me to control printing more.

IF I want to include images in my report, but don't want to print Death certificates, I can leave off the Death-IMG tag. Sometimes we want to share some images and not others. I can print an Individual Narrative for a group of people and just print the Birth-IMG tag and send a group of birth certificates to a cousin.

I hope that helps.

Sarah,

There's probably not a BEST way.

I created a special IMG tag for every tag in my database, like Birth-IMG, Death-IMG, Marriage-IMG.

Now I can attach the image to that tag.

The reason I did that is it allows me to control printing more.

IF I want to include images in my report, but don't want to print Death certificates, I can leave off the Death-IMG tag. Sometimes we want to share some images and not others. I can print an Individual Narrative for a group of people and just print the Birth-IMG tag and send a group of birth certificates to a cousin.

I hope that helps.

Yes, thank you, it sure helps. I have spent many hours reading this forum and other TMG tip sites. I never would have figured out your method, it sounds good.

I am just starting to input my data into TMG -- beginning with me and my birth certificate -- and did not want to have to go back and re-do it later. Have not thought about the reports, yet.

Thank you again,

SarahRose

I wouldn't wait too long on the reports. I have found that the Individual Narrative report with a focus on the current person where I am editing data and output of all tags helps a great deal to keep my data entry clean.

That's a smart move. Start with yourself, and when you hit a roadblock, ask. You'll soon be up in the 1000s of people and you'll be giving help.

I went to the Master Tag List and created 3 tags labeled as BirthC-Img, DeathC-Img, and MarrL-Img and put them into the tag groups Birth, Death, and Marriage, respectively. I used the default values for everything else.

Then I went to my name and added the tag BirthC-Img. I attached the exhibit of the birth certificate, used the citation to point to the birth certificate source, and set the sort date one day after the birthdate so it would display after the birth tag.

Now when my name is in the detail view and I click on the little camera on the menu line, the image of the birth certificate pops up!

Is there anything else I should have done?

Thanks,

SarahRose

I wouldn't wait too long on the reports. I have found that the Individual Narrative report with a focus on the current person where I am editing data and output of all tags helps a great deal to keep my data entry clean.

Well, I tried the Individual Narrative report. It came out with one short sentence: SarahRose was born on date at county, state. I would like to change the "at" to an "in."

I looked in the Master Tag List to edit the Birth tag and I read some in the help file. In the examples given in the help file, "in" was used.

Found it!! -- in the report options button. There are certainly a lot of options!

Any more suggestions?

Thanks,

SarahRose

Keep at it you are catching on quick. My IMG tags have a sentence of --. That means that nothing prints but the image. This way I can control where I put my image and also where I put my footnote. (Since it goes at the end of a tag, I don't source my image tags, just the regular tag they go with. That way I get:

SarahRose was born on date at county, state. FOOTNOTE IMAGE

You can also use Place Styles to handle prepositions or use the sentence structure itself like

[P] was born [DATE] <in [COUNTY]>, [sTATE].

There are about as many ways to handle things in TMG as there are users.

Keep at it you are catching on quick. My IMG tags have a sentence of --. That means that nothing prints but the image. This way I can control where I put my image and also where I put my footnote. (Since it goes at the end of a tag, I don't source my image tags, just the regular tag they go with. That way I get:

SarahRose was born on date at county, state. FOOTNOTE IMAGE

You can also use Place Styles to handle prepositions or use the sentence structure itself like

[P] was born [DATE] <in [COUNTY]>, [sTATE].

There are about as many ways to handle things in TMG as there are users.

In the Master Tag Type List, I changed the sentence structure to 2 dashes.

In the BirthC-Img tag, I removed the citation. The image is still attached in the exhibit.

In the Individual Narrative report options:

Names tab: Identifiers none (I didn't like the person number showing.)

Tags tab: Tag Types is All; Events is All events and Witnessed events.

Sources tab: Footnotes is chosen. (Footnotes now appear.)

Exhibits tab: Footnotes is chosen, all check boxes are checked, For Each Person include all images.

On the report definition screen:

Use the current focus person is checked.

Had to save to my word processor so the exhibits tab would work.

The Save Settings button is great!

The footnotes have three references after the name. The first gives the birth certificate, the second says "ibid., Gives name of mother.", and the third says "ibid., Gives name of father." There is a fourth footnote at the end of the sentence saying "ibid., Gives date & place of birth." The short descriptions were entered into the detail screen of the citation.

I do not get a Footnote Image in the report. The image is a 402KB JPG file. It does show up in the exhibit log of the detail person. The image is saved externally in the Exhibits folder of the TMG UserData.

Suggestions.

SarahRose

SarahRose,

From Help:

"Exhibits attached to citations, sources, repositories, and places are not included in reports."

So if you want the exhibit to appear in TMG reports, you need to attach it directly to the Tag, not to the Source.

On the other hand, if you contemplate output to a website by use of Second Site, attaching exhibit to sources is great, because then they appear on the sources page, which can be accessed from any citation to that source.

Terry answered your question, now I am going to tell you why it wouldn't be a good idea (in my opinion) to handle it that way in a printed report. Footnotes take up a lot of room at the bottom of the page. Add in a 3"x 4" image and you suddenly no longer have text but a half of page of footnotes not to mention that a 3" x 4" wouldn't be readable anyway. Endnotes would be a better option, but if you have the image attached to the source, you may end up with only 3-4 citations per page. People rarely read footnotes and endnotes when they are compact. Make them bulkier than the paper, and you will definitely lose the reader.

Now if you are using Second Site, you can link to the image and that sort of solves the issue, though the reader has to click on a link to see the source, and then another to see the image.

That is why I prefer to use tags. Using the sort date, you can embed them into the narrative. You can also have a link to the image so the person can either look at the image or not and the narrative still flows.

See http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancest...ry/EDDE/p37.htm as an example. If you click on one of the camera icons, you can see the muster roll of Hiram Edde.

Now one thing I have started doing is adding images to sources, not the citation, because if you click on a source link at the bottom of Hiram's page, it will take you to his Master Source list and I would like for the images to be there also. But that was a project I started after James Edde's family was online and I haven't updated that site yet.

The reason you are seeing the image in the person's exhibit log is it is attached to the BIRHTC-IMG tag. It looks like you do not have the BIRTHC-IMG tag printing or you would see the image in the narrative part of the report. Not sure why since you say you selected all tags.

Terry answered your question, now I am going to tell you why it wouldn't be a good idea (in my opinion) to handle it that way in a printed report.

Not handle it which way, Teresa?

Footnotes take up a lot of room at the bottom of the page. Add in a 3"x 4" image and you suddenly no longer have text but a half of page of footnotes not to mention that a 3" x 4" wouldn't be readable anyway.

I don't understand this. How would you add images in a footnote in a printered report? As the section of Help that I quoted says, you images attached to citations and sources don't appear in reports.

The reason you are seeing the image in the person's exhibit log is it is attached to the BIRHTC-IMG tag. It looks like you do not have the BIRTHC-IMG tag printing or you would see the image in the narrative part of the report.

I don't think so. I think the image is attached to the source, and the source is cited in the tag. But only images attached to the tag it self will print.

The reason you are seeing the image in the person's exhibit log is it is attached to the BIRHTC-IMG tag. It looks like you do not have the BIRTHC-IMG tag printing or you would see the image in the narrative part of the report.

I don't think so. I think the image is attached to the source, and the source is cited in the tag. But only images attached to the tag it self will print.

Since I knew that I did have the image attached to the tag and not to the source, it looked like the problem was with my tag. I have tried nearly every combination I could think of and discovered:

The MarrL-Img tag and DeathC-Img tags will print the whole full sized birth certificate as a footnote when something like <xx [P]> is in the sentence structure. When the sentence structure is -- nothing prints.

I deleted the BirthC-Img tag in the Master Tag Type list [also deleted it from the person] and made another one by copying the Birth tag. It did not work either. When I created a BirthC-Img tag by adding a tag (instead of copying), it worked like the MarrL-Img and DeathC-Img tags.

It seems that I am creating a new tag incorrectly. What is the correct way to create a new image tag?

I am using Word from MicroSoft Office 2007 as my wordprocessor. Since TMG does not seem to have an option specifically for Word 2007, I used the option for the older version of Word. It seems to work OK. Could the wordprocessor be doing something?

I did not change the report options I listed in a previous post. Should they be modified?

When I attach the BirthC-Img tag to the person, I only attach an exhibit and usually put in a sort date. Should I be doing something else?

Thank you for your patience with a newbie.

SarahRose

Since I knew that I did have the image attached to the tag and not to the source, it looked like the problem was with my tag. I have tried nearly every combination I could think of and discovered:

The MarrL-Img tag and DeathC-Img tags will print the whole full sized birth certificate as a footnote when something like is in the sentence structure. When the sentence structure is -- nothing prints.

That's right- an exclusion mark in the sentence totally excludes the tag from printing. Instead I use the [:NP:] code in the sentence. That suppresses the period that will otherwise appear, even if nothing else prints.

Terry,

I was explaining to Sarah why I didn't think it would be a good idea to do that.

What you can do and I think SarahRose is doing is you can have images printed into the FOOTNOTE area instead of into the narrative.

See the Individual Narrative>Options>Exhibits>Footnotes.

That takes all exhibits attached to tags, and prints them in the footnote area instead of into the text area of the report. When I did that, I got I was born, then my great grandfather died, and then a full page of footnotes (mostly images). They are tinier than when they print in the narrative also.

Sarah,

You can just COPY the original birth tag, and then rename it. An image tag is just a regular tag that I only attach an image to. Then on the options tab for Exhibits, have them embedded into the report instead of printign as footnotes.

Just make sure when you do the report that the BirthC-Img tag has a check mark beside it and that

Terry,

I was explaining to Sarah why I didn't think it would be a good idea to do that.

Do what?

See the Individual Narrative>Options>Exhibits>Footnotes.

Thanks - I missed that. So you can attach an exhibit to a tag or person and have it appear as a note.

This image in a report is driving me crazy!

Today with the MarrL-Img and DeathC-Img tags, it would print out either embedded or as a footnote, the image the size of an uppercase letter when something like <MarrL [P]> was in the sentence structure. The BirthC-Img would not print.

Cannot figure out how to make them print with nothing in the sentence.

The most obvious difference between the tags is BirthC-Img does not have an * and the other two do. Since in the Report options >Tags: Tag Types is All and Events is All events and Witnessed events -- I thought not being a principle event was covered.

Yesterday when they printed, they were the full size of the birth certificate. I have no idea what I did to cause the image to print out so small.

Suggestions welcome.

On a brighter note, I decided to work with my Mom's marriage sentence. Found a nice sentence at Teresa's site http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancest...ry/TMG/TMG.html

Then on Terry's site, I used his tutorial on roles

http://tmg.reigelridge.com/Roles-Tutorial.htm to create Minister and JP roles. When I do my Mom's father, I plan to use Terry's Tips on roles and sentences for second marriages. http://tmg.reigelridge.com/Roles-Marriage.htm

Even added a marriage memo and tweeked the citation details on her sources. Her marriage narrative is great! It is wonderful that you both have taken the time to put so many examples out on the Internet for newbies like me to use.

Hope you can figure out what I'm doing wrong with these images. Perhaps it's not important for them to print out. They do show up nicely in the exhibit log.

SarahRose

Today with the MarrL-Img and DeathC-Img tags, it would print out either embedded or as a footnote, the image the size of an uppercase letter when something like was in the sentence structure. The BirthC-Img would not print.

Did you try just the [:NP:] code in the sentence as I suggested? I think that should work.

Today with the MarrL-Img and DeathC-Img tags, it would print out either embedded or as a footnote, the image the size of an uppercase letter when something like <MarrL [P]> was in the sentence structure. The BirthC-Img would not print.

Did you try just the [:NP:] code in the sentence as I suggested? I think that should work.

Yes!! My error was using the [:NP:] code with other code. When [:NP:] is by itself, nothing prints except the exhibit!!

I deleted the BirthC-Img tag [again] and copied the MarrL-Img tag and called the copy BirthC-Img. It thinks it is a marriage tag, but it will now print the image.

So now, all three will print as both footnotes and embedded without extra text. The problem is that the whole image is the size of one uppercase letter. This is true when all tags are chosen and when just these three are selected.

Yesterday, when they printed with extra text as footnotes, they were the actual size of the birth certificate. So the only problem that is left is the size.

Thanks again,

SarahRose