robinkaspar

"Structure Version Missing" crashes TMG 6.12

Has anyone else seen this? I get this message just after the splash screen and it closes the program. I can start it right up again but I get the welcome screen where I have to select that I want to open the last-opened dataset. I can use the program normally after that so it appears to be rather benign, but it sure is annoying. I'm running TMG 6.12 under Parallels and I used to have this problem occasionally before I upgraded to version 4, now it happens every other time I start the program.

Running WinXP SP3, all the latest updates, Parallels 4 build 4.0.3810.

Robin

Robin, for more information on this problem and suggestions for workarounds, see this message in the tmg-l archives. Try the Preferences settings recommended in that message. You may also want to start WG with the Welcome Window option (Preferences - Startup and Exit).

Virginia

Robin, for more information on this problem and suggestions for workarounds, see this message in the tmg-l archives. Try the Preferences settings recommended in that message. You may also want to start WG with the Welcome Window option (Preferences - Startup and Exit).

Virginia

Thanks Virginia. I checked my preferences and they are all set as per your recommendations in that long-ago archived message. So does this mean my project file is corrupted? [shudder] If not, would upgrading to v7 help? Or should I just put up with the welcome screen?

Robin

Robin -

It should not be necessary to open TMG with the Welcome Window option, but I have gotten in the habit of using it even in v7 just as insurance against a hiccup while TMG is loading. I don't know if running under Parallels contributes to the likelihood of a startup glitch.

Virginia

I get the same problem and have just been ignoring it. I would like to resolve the problem though.

Shaun

As I have gathered from previous responses concerning this error, this seems to be an issue that cannot be reliably reproduced by the WG software people. I would guess that this would make it very difficult to find the root cause. Some users have even suggested it may simply be a timing issue that appears in certain circumstances. Virginia's suggestion to "start TMG with the Welcome Window option (Preferences - Startup and Exit)" seems to affect the timing during startup and for many people eliminates the error.

It may be some comfort that I did search the archives and can find no mention so far of anyone's data ever being damaged by this error.

If you do have a guaranteed way to reliably produce this error every time, you should probably contact Tech Support with that information.

This error happened to me the first time about 2 days ago. It must be gremlins somewhere. I open and close TMG 6.12 every day, sometimes several times a day and have never had this happen before. Now I see the select project screen when I start up. This is actually OK with me right now as I have several different projects I'm working on. Just a little strange that this error popped up out of the blue.

In almost all instances, restarting the program will result in a clean start. Very rarely, the .PJC file will be corrupted and will need to be repaired or replaced but that is a very unusual occurrence.

In almost all instances, restarting the program will result in a clean start. Very rarely, the .PJC file will be corrupted and will need to be repaired or replaced but that is a very unusual occurrence.

I'm having no problems running the program but I must endure the "what do you want to do" window every time I start it up. If I check "don't show again" I get the error message the next time I start. So something must be afoul somewhere. If it's not in the .PJC file then I should be able to avoid this by upgrading?

Robin

I'm having no problems running the program but I must endure the "what do you want to do" window every time I start it up. If I check "don't show again" I get the error message the next time I start. So something must be afoul somewhere. If it's not in the .PJC file then I should be able to avoid this by upgrading?

Robin

The upgrade won't help.

I'm running v. 7.04 on Windows XP and get the "Structure version is missing" problem about once a week.

The good news is that it's always restarted without problems ...... (touches large amounts of wood)