George Waller

Importing into a project

I'm back with a question which is sort of the reverse of my last question.

I want to import a GEDCOM file into a project and have the incoming records appended to the existing dataset. It seems that all I can do is import the records as a new dataset. Then how can I incorporate these new people into my existing project/dataset?

If I could append the records, then it would be simple to merge or link new people to the existing dataset.

TIA, George

Imports always add a new data set to a project (whether creating a new project or adding a data set to an existing project).

You can merge the new data set with the original data set using File / Data Set Manager. This, in effect copies the individuals from the new data set to the original data set.

Alternatively, you can copy selected individuals from the new data set to the original data set using Add / Copy Person(s).

Once you are done with the new data set, you can delete it if you wish.

Jim has answered your question, but if you want to know more about merging data sets you might find my article on Merging helpful. The part about merging Data Sets is in the lower half of the article.

Jim has answered your question, but if you want to know more about merging data sets you might find my article on Merging helpful. The part about merging Data Sets is in the lower half of the article.

Thanks Jim and Terry. This is just what I needed to understand. Terry, your tips webpages are superb.

Best Regards, George