The Oakster

Site Issue

Hello,

A suggestion for the site would be to change the button at the bottom of the post screen from a 'reply with quote' button to just a 'reply' button.

A vast majority of replies to posts quote the entire previous post because people press that button with out realising that it is the quote button despite the quotation marks. :P

If the quoting is intentional then maybe a little guidance is needed to highlight to people that there is no requirement to quote a complete post as you wouldnt be replying to it if you wasnt referring to it. Quotes are only needed to highlight specific lines in a post.

I know that you can press that button to reply and then delete the quote but that doesnt seem to be happening either.

Ben

I know this, I was pointing out a problem that other people seem to have.

I find it a bit annoying having to scroll past the original post included in nearly all the replies because of this '"reply' button

Ben

A suggestion for the site would be to change the button at the bottom of the post screen from a 'reply with quote' button to just a 'reply' button.

I don't agree at all -- I find the "reply with quotes" function very helpful - it's much easier than constructing a quote manually.

If the quoting is intentional then maybe a little guidance is needed to highlight to people that there is no requirement to quote a complete post as you wouldnt be replying to it if you wasnt referring to it. Quotes are only needed to highlight specific lines in a post.

I agree with that, but question how one conveys that sort of information to a group of users who include many novices at this sort of forum. :unsure:

I understand that this would be difficult if not impossible. Thats why the suggestion was to move that particular button.

I agree that the button has its use, I just feel that it is misleading for novice forum users to have a button that says 'reply' at the bottom of the post, when it actually quotes the whole previous post.

The proof that it is misleading is by the large number of quoted posts in a thread.

It was just a suggestion... :(