Jeff F

Passenger List in TMG

Hi All;

I'm to the point in my family tree where I'd like to start entering the data that I've found on some passenger lists for a few of my relatives. I see TMG has a PSGR List tag but it seems somewhat inadequate. I've tried entering the info into it a couple of different ways but none of them seems quite right. I checked Terry's website but didn't find anything helpful there for this particular type of content.

So what does everyone in here use for this type of information? Do I need to create a custom tag for this?

Thanks.

Jeff

Just a couple of comments. I see the PSGR List event in the UK edition. The US edition has no equivalent event.

I typically look at a passenger list as a source rather than an event and would use that information to document an emmigration or immigration event. Perhaps other information could also be retrieved from a passenger list such as the person's name, age, occupation or other data. Frequently other names in the passenger list tell you something about the individual's family or associations particularly in the light of future data that you might have regarding the person.

If you don't like the PSGR List sentence, revise it or create a new custom tag type with an appropriate sentence to accomplish what you want to do.

Jeff -

Check the tmg mailing list archives for past messages on this subject. The archives are here.

In the Search field, enter 'passenger list' or 'passenger list tag' or 'passenger list sentence'. You will get quite a few hits, but a quick scan of the message snippets should get you an idea of what the thread covered. For example, one message here suggested using the History tag for passenger lists.

Virginia

... I'd like to start entering the data that I've found on some passenger lists ... So what does everyone in here use for this type of information? Do I need to create a custom tag for this?

Hi Jeff,

I usually let how I want the output to read be the deciding factor in whether I create a custom tag. I take the same approach as Jim, choosing to make a distinction in my mind between what I consider a source of information about an event, and the event itself. I also choose to treat the passenger list as a source and use an appropriate tag to describe the event implied by that source. For example, if they changed residency then I would probably use an Immigration or Emigration tag with a citation to the passenger list source. Or if they only visited, I might simply use a Note tag and construct appropriate text in the memo, again citing the passenger list. Whether to create a custom tag is up to how you want to document this and how you want the output to read.

For one example of a custom tag, I have customized the standard Emigration tag so that it is easier for me to use with a passenger list source. I have the Principal being leader of the travel group, and the rest of the group all linked to this one tag as Witnesses with their custom role of emigree. I then use a split main memo to document the name of the Principal on the passenger list along with other information. The separate split witness memo for each member of the party documents their name on the passenger list and their listed relationship to the leader of the group plus other information about them.

Principal sentence: [P]<, listed as [M1],> emigrated from [L] [D]< destination [M2]>< along with [R:emigree]>.< [M3]>emigree sentence: [W]<, listed as [WM1],>< as a [WM2]> led by [P1] emigrated from [L] [D]< destination [M2]>.< [WM3]>

I also have an equivalent customized Immigration tag if the source is describing arrival instead of departure.

Just my way to deal with this type of source, but hope this give you ideas,

Jeff,

As Jim says, I don't a passenger list as an event that needs a tag, but rather as a source for an Immigration Tag. Actually, I have two Immigration Tags. I use Immign-Gen when I have little information, typically just Census records. It as Sentences of:

Principal: [P] immigrated

Witness: [W] immigrated with [P]

With Parents: [W] immigrated with his parents, [P] {and a matching Female version}

When I have real details, like a passenger list, I use Immign-Det, modeled after my Census Tag, with Sentences:

Principal: [P] arrived {looks like I've never found a mother alone with children, so never built the female version}

Witness: [W] arrived with [P] ,

with Parents: [W] arrived with his parents, [P] , {with a matching female version}

with Father: [W] arrived with his father, [P], {also with a matching female version}

The name of the ship, port of departure, and any other details of interest go in the Memo.

Thanks Terry, that works very well!

It appears that my grandfather made three trips to the USA (one with his father and mother and two more by himself). I'm assuming that the only one that applies is the last trip when he actually stayed in the USA.

Should I refer to the other two trips in the memo field or should I just leave them out altogether?

Thanks again!

Jeff,

As Jim says, I don't a passenger list as an event that needs a tag, but rather as a source for an Immigration Tag. Actually, I have two Immigration Tags. I use Immign-Gen when I have little information, typically just Census records. It as Sentences of:

Principal: [P] <|and [PO]> immigrated <[D]> <to [L]>< [M]>

Witness: [W] immigrated with [P] <and [PO]> <[D]> <[L]> <[WM]>

With Parents: [W] immigrated with his parents, [P] <and [PO]> <[D]> <[L]> <[WM]> {and a matching Female version}

When I have real details, like a passenger list, I use Immign-Det, modeled after my Census Tag, with Sentences:

Principal: [P] <and [PO]> arrived< in [L]> <[D]><, with their children [RG:with Parents]><, with his children [RG:with Father]> <, [M]> {looks like I've never found a mother alone with children, so never built the female version}

Witness: [W] arrived with [P] <and [PO]>, <[D]> <[L]> <[M]>

with Parents: [W] arrived< in [L]> with his parents, [P] <and [PO]>, <[D]><, [M]> {with a matching female version}

with Father: [W] arrived< in [L]> with his father, [P], <[D]><, [M]> {also with a matching female version}

The name of the ship, port of departure, and any other details of interest go in the Memo.

Thanks Terry, that works very well!

You're welcome, Jeff. :)

It appears that my grandfather made three trips to the USA (one with his father and mother and two more by himself). I'm assuming that the only one that applies is the last trip when he actually stayed in the USA.

Should I refer to the other two trips in the memo field or should I just leave them out altogether?

Thanks again!

In my view, that depends on other evidence. What can you find about how long he stayed after the first two trips?

I'd be inclined to see the first one as the actual immigration, and the second two as visits "back home." If that is the case, I'd not mention them at all in the immgration tag, but perhaps create a Note or Antedote tag to record the trips "home."

But if you have evidence that he stayed just briefly the first two times, and returned to live in the "old country" in between, then perhaps the last was really his "immigration" trip.