Peter Tarkkonen

Publishing living people info

TMG and also SecondSite have great tools to control info about living people.

Delicate way is ofcause to hide all data of living people but close to that is to hide all other info but name. Both can be done by TMG ans SS. I have used the last way ie. hide all but name.

However, we have a new law here in Finland that just by sending an email, a person can ask also name to be removed from the net and journals.

Geneological point of view we do not need to delete individual, only just hide the name. Name can be like "SON, born 1965 etc. This way families will look complete even if one of children wants to hide his/hers name.

One solution would be just to replace persons name in TMG, however I dont see it as a nice solution.

Have you others solved this some way, so ideas please?

Peter

Peter,

At least as far as websites go, the newly released version 3 of Second Site offers what to me is better solution. It has two new features that let you:

1. In the list of children of a couple, display the names (and optionally, the lifespans) of non-living children, but omit the names of living children.

2. Add a note associated with that list to say anything you like about the children. In the case you mention, I've been playing with something like "Other children of Tom and Mary are still living."

You could, of course, make that note as specific as you like, for example including the number of excluded children.

There two features are the way I intend to to deal with the issue you raise next time I update my site.

Peter,

At least as far as websites go, the newly released version 3 of Second Site offers what to me is better solution. It has two new features that let you:

1. In the list of children of a couple, display the names (and optionally, the lifespans) of non-living children, but omit the names of living children.

2. Add a note associated with that list to say anything you like about the children. In the case you mention, I've been playing with something like "Other children of Tom and Mary are still living."

You could, of course, make that note as specific as you like, for example including the number of excluded children.

There two features are the way I intend to to deal with the issue you raise next time I update my site.

Terry,

thx for advice. I need to upgrade to SS3.

However, it was not excactly I was looking for and I use also Journals so I still have those to solve.

This issue is raised quite heavily lately here in Finland. There is few law cases going on againts some people who made a book and there was no written permission from few people.

Our local Genealogy association with officials published last year "Best practises in pushlishing genealogy material".

For living people guidelines are quite clear:

- If person does not what info to be published, her/his name should be hidden like "man Smith, b.1955" or "Person wants not to publish his info".

- However, his data can be kept in TMG. Ofcause person has a right to check his data

This will keep families listed complitely but only some peoples name is "hidden"

This could be one of those new feautures in TMG. A flag (or whatever) which will cause name to be replaced in all outputs with certain text.

Peter

Peter,

I'm afraid I don't know any simple solutions for Journal reports.

But for Second Site, whether you publish on the Internet or privately on CDs, there is actually more capability to suppress details than I described. You can suppress details for living people (Living Flag = Y or ?) and/or with any other Flag. So, if you want, you can include details for most living people, and create a custom flag to mark those you want to suppress. Or, you can suppress details for all living people, and some others too. And probably more since you can create the flag any way you like.

Peter,

I agree with Terry that SS3 has more options with regard to living people. However, I did not implement a capability where the name of a living person can be suppressed but other information about him or her is shown. You can suppress other things, but the name is shown if you include or show the person at all. That limits what you can do with SS: according to what you wrote about the new law, you have to exclude everyone who has not given you explicit permission to include them. Furthermore, SS3 only has one set of controls for "Excluded, Living" people, so that means that you can't show anything for that group, even if some of the people you want to exclude have given you permission to show their names.

SS3 is still an improvement over SS2 in this area; in SS2, you'd have to suppress info about "Excluded, Deceased" people, too.

Of course, you can add a new Name-Var record for the person, and make it primary, where you enter the first name as "SON" or "DAUGHTER" or "LIVING" or whatever is required by the law.

Peter,

I agree with Terry that SS3 has more options with regard to living people. However, I did not implement a capability where the name of a living person can be suppressed but other information about him or her is shown. You can suppress other things, but the name is shown if you include or show the person at all. That limits what you can do with SS: according to what you wrote about the new law, you have to exclude everyone who has not given you explicit permission to include them. Furthermore, SS3 only has one set of controls for "Excluded, Living" people, so that means that you can't show anything for that group, even if some of the people you want to exclude have given you permission to show their names.

SS3 is still an improvement over SS2 in this area; in SS2, you'd have to suppress info about "Excluded, Deceased" people, too.

Of course, you can add a new Name-Var record for the person, and make it primary, where you enter the first name as "SON" or "DAUGHTER" or "LIVING" or whatever is required by the law.

John and Terry,

cant agree u more. With SS one can do quite a bit to solve this issue and same kind.

Anyway, I will keep families fully listed like

Children of John and Mary Smith:

Bill b. 1960

Jack b.1962

Son b.1964

Mary b. 1966

In which "Son" has denied to use his name. From genealogical point of view it will look full family. Just this one line does not just continue.

So far I have changed persons name to "Son Smith. This will work as long there will not be too many of them. Just does not look good.

And if I look to future. What can I do when "Son Smith" will have adult child, who wants to be listed. And his/hers father is "Son Smith". But thats an other story.

Peter

An alternative method might be to have the Primary Name-Var with the Given Name entered as "[withheld]" (including the brackets). For me that would make the situation more clear. I would suggest also having a second Name-Var for your records with the actual Given Name entered as "{Walter}". Then if you chose print options to print sensitive data, you could have a report with that name. And later, when either the person dies or changes his mind to allow use of his name, you can simply change which Name-Var is Primary. Lots of different ways to handle this.

An alternative method might be to have the Primary Name-Var with the Given Name entered as "[withheld]" (including the brackets). For me that would make the situation more clear. I would suggest also having a second Name-Var for your records with the actual Given Name entered as "{Walter}". Then if you chose print options to print sensitive data, you could have a report with that name. And later, when either the person dies or changes his mind to allow use of his name, you can simply change which Name-Var is Primary. Lots of different ways to handle this.

Mike,

thank you for great idea. Might work with me aswell.

Peter

PS. Love this site cause it is not only technical issues but also best practises:)))))))