Helmut Leininger

Little inconvenience - wishlist

Hi,

In TMG v7, if there is a child that died the same day it was born, the sorting order in the Person window shows birth before death (which is ok).

If you change the event type from Birth to Birth/stillborn (I don't kno if this is the label in English, in German it is Geburt/Totgeb), the death is shown before the birth. You may "correct" this by giving a sort date, but this is inconvenient and births should be sorted before death with the same date anyway - at least in my opinion.

Helmut,

Tags with the same date will sort with no predictable order - the order you see in one context may well change to a different order in another, or after running maintenance operations. TMG does not attempt to evaluate the nature of the many standard and potentially endless number of custom tag types and assign a sort order. Sorting is done solely based on sort date.

So if you want to assure that tags with the same date will sort in a particular order you have to assign sort dates to them that sequence them correctly.

Hello Helmut,

I understand your "wish" to have any Tag in the Birth group always come before any Tag in the Death group if they have the identical Sort Date. That would probably be a convenient enhancement. However as you have noticed, with the current program you cannot rely on the order of Tags that have identical Sort Dates. You might get "lucky" in getting the order you desire, possibly based on the order that the Tags were added, but even that is not guaranteed. I have made it a habit to always modify Tags with identical Dates to have different Sort Dates that ensure the Tags fall in the order I prefer. It may be inconvenient, but at least you can specify their order.

I find while they almost always sort correctly on screen, they always sort incorrectly in reports. Weird that way huh?

Actually, they are sorted correctly in both cases. When there is a tie because the sort dates are the same, the sort sequence is unpredictable. The sequence can vary according to the way the database component accesses the records and what records are included in the query. For an individual view, the query may only select records for the current person, and may access them via a particular index. The query for a report may select records for many people and access them via a different index. Both outcomes are unpredictable and while you may see the results you described the next 5,000 times you look, on the 5001st it may be different.

Hi,

In TMG v7, if there is a child that died the same day it was born, the sorting order in the Person window shows birth before death (which is ok).

If you change the event type from Birth to Birth/stillborn (I don't kno if this is the label in English, in German it is Geburt/Totgeb), the death is shown before the birth. You may "correct" this by giving a sort date, but this is inconvenient and births should be sorted before death with the same date anyway - at least in my opinion.

Am I missing something??

If s child is stillborn then it *did* die in the womb before it was born-right?

If that is the case then the death event should sort before the birth- correct?

If s child is stillborn then it *did* die in the womb before it was born-right?

If you take it literally, the answer would be yes. The day of death could even be a day before, right? You die before you are born? (Although this is true in a medical view, it somewhat contradicts common sense.)

But I doubt that the priests did see it the same way. The child could die during birth which happened relatively often, though. Also in these cases, the birth often has been registered as "stillborn".

Sorry, this is off-topic and probably should not be further exploited here.