Peter Tarkkonen

Searching individuals

I would like to set a flag to all people who have "say" in their birth date.

So I need to find/filter them first but how? And only with "say" and not "circa" in date field.

At least it is possible to search/filter individuala who have "modifier" in date field.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Like you, I cannot think of a way to do this directly within TMG. :sad: Looks like a good candidate for a "wish list" item.

The only idea that I came up with to help in manually setting the flag, one person at a time, was to produce a List of Events report with a filter of

Tag Type Group is Birth ANDDate Has Modifier END

I then created that LOE report as type Comma Separated Value with only the output columns of:

Date, Tag Type Label, Prin1 ID

Then I opened that report in a text editor and searched for exactly ' s ' (that is a lowercase s with a space both before and after). That will find the "Say" dates, and that report line gives you the ID number of the person. You can then jump to that person (using Ctrl-I or the GoTo button) and set their flag. Very tedious if you have a lot of them, but at least you can find them. If you don't have too many this may help.

Hi Peter,

Like you, I cannot think of a way to do this directly within TMG. :sad: Looks like a good candidate for a "wish list" item.

The only idea that I came up with to help in manually setting the flag, one person at a time, was to produce a List of Events report with a filter of

Tag Type Group is Birth ANDDate Has Modifier END

I then created that LOE report as type Comma Separated Value with only the output columns of:

Date, Tag Type Label, Prin1 ID

Then I opened that report in a text editor and searched for exactly ' s ' (that is a lowercase s with a space both before and after). That will find the "Say" dates, and that report line gives you the ID number of the person. You can then jump to that person (using Ctrl-I or the GoTo button) and set their flag. Very tedious if you have a lot of them, but at least you can find them. If you don't have too many this may help.

Thank you MIke,

came to same conclusion.

My idea was to add an icon to SS3 site to give a "warning" that dates are not exact (additional to text ofcause) and also ask readers if they know more.

So I wanted to make a predefined list to explorer to once and a while check that flags are set correctly.

To the wish list, pls.

Peter

Why using the same criteria - e.g. Given name, surname, birth date - the Project Explorer and the Simple Picklist display names in a different way ? The Simple Picklist always displays the surname first, even when sorting as above mentioned. Is this intentional ?

Hmmm... I also see the behavior you describe.

In my opinion this is a bug. I will report it to the developers and see if they agree.

My guess is that this occurs because the objective of the Simple Picklist - to be quick - precludes the necessary processing to re-order the names. The whole design of the Simple Picklist is based on doing as little processing as possible to gain speed.

That is a good reason.

However I use to sort my database by the Given Name, given the fact that a good part of my ancestors share the same surname. IMHO it's easier and less time consuming to have the Project Explorer usualy sorted that way, and it would be nice to have the Picklist the same way.

Then use the Expanded Picklist - it's designed to do all sorts of nifty things, including re-ordering the names when change the sort order, but at the expense of being less speedy. :)

You change to it in Preferences > Program Options > Lists.