Rosanna

Changing V7 from V4+

Hello

I would have had to change over from my beloved V4 (went back to) after I had received all my changes. However I lost my programme during repair so a good time to change over. (I could have recoverd from external hard drive but have to pay a tech) Thankfully ID's remained the same.

There are a few little annoying messages and some other issues so won't do them all at once.

1) Capitals. if you recall version 4 defaults surname to caps and I keep getting a message telling me off for putting surname in capts. Can this function be turned of

2) Another message is "the age - 2 (or whatever) does not meet the expected minimum age of the principle role of the tag" What does this mean? and do I have to live with it or can I change anything to stop it happening?

Many thanks

1) Capitals. if you recall version 4 defaults surname to caps and I keep getting a message telling me off for putting surname in capts. Can this function be turned of

The easiest way is to uncheck the "Warn next time" box in the lower left corner of the warning screen the next time you see it. You can also turn it off in Preferences > Program Options > Warnings.

However you are wrong that v4 defaulted to surnames in all upper case. It, like v7, defaults to displaying them in all upper case, but it has always been recommended that you enter them in mixed case, which is what the warning you are seeing in v7 is telling you.

2) Another message is "the age - 2 (or whatever) does not meet the expected minimum age of the principle role of the tag" What does this mean? and do I have to live with it or can I change anything to stop it happening?

This means you have entered a Birth-group tag that includes a date, and are now a tag (or editing an existing tag) with an earlier date. You cannot turn this warning off - you just have to dismiss it. I don't believe that has changed from v4.

Hello Terry

Thank you. I didn't see the bit about being abble to turn it off. But No I have never put surnames in capitals in V4. If you accidently do you get a message to say you shouldn't, which is of course annoying. But you can choose to do your reports in lower case or capitals.

Also, no there is no warning in version 4 about this bith date tag. You have probably forgotten but it is vey basic and that is why I liked it. There are some more things which I will post gradually if I cant find any explanation.

Regards

Hi Rosanna,

This message means that you are entering or editing a tag for this person where the date you have for this tag is before their birth (or after their death). While sometimes this may be appropriate, TMG is trying to help as it often indicates a typo for the date.

And yes, like many warnings you can turn this off. See Preferences // Program options // Warnings. The two options that apply are:

Warn when date is outside the appropriate date range.

Warn when date MIGHT be outside the appropriate date range.

As you commented, Version 4 was a lot "more basic" than Version 7. However, I have come to appreciate and use the added features and capabilities. I suspect that you will too once you learn about them. The program really changed after Version 4, so there is much that is new. Just keep asking questions.

Hi Rosanna,

This message means that you are entering or editing a tag for this person where the date you have for this tag is before their birth (or after their death). While sometimes this may be appropriate, TMG is trying to help as it often indicates a typo for the date.

Oh I see, this explains it better. I didn't notice this. I must have put in a wrong date. There were several in a row!! hopefully I will pick it up in audit. I havent had the message since the first couple of entries I made. I find the print a bit smaller but getting used to it. Yes I have to post again as getting frustrated about another matter. Many thanks

As was mentioned, you can change the font sizes in Preferences / Program Options. For a list of what is affected by different font settings, see Paul Lawrence's article here.

The method for font resizing is different in v7 from earlier versions. The v7 resizing method is the default, but there is an option in Preferences / Program Options / Other to use the v5/6 resizing method if you prefer. The difference is explained in Help:

- - - - - - - -

"Use the TMG 5/6 method of window resizing

This box is unchecked by default.

The standard method of window resizing is that text remains the same size and that data entry/display space increases/decreases when a window size is increased/decreased. This is how the windows in most Windows™ applications work. The base font size for lists is set using the Minimum font size setting on the Program Options: Lists screen and the base font size for the Project Explorer is set using the Font size setting on the Program Options: Project Explorer screen.

When using the TMG 5/6 method of window resizing, the font size increases/decreases in list windows when the window size is increased/decreased. The range of the font size change in these windows is controlled by the Minimum font size and Maximum font size settings on the Program Options: Lists screen."

- - - - - - - -

Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions on the transition from v4 to v7.

Virginia

As was mentioned, you can change the font sizes in Preferences / Program Options. For a list of what is affected by different font settings, see Paul Lawrence's article here.

The method for font resizing is different in v7 from earlier versions. The v7 resizing method is the default, but there is an option in Preferences / Program Options / Other to use the v5/6 resizing method if you prefer. The difference is explained in Help:

- - - - - - - -

"Use the TMG 5/6 method of window resizing

This box is unchecked by default.

The standard method of window resizing is that text remains the same size and that data entry/display space increases/decreases when a window size is increased/decreased. This is how the windows in most Windows™ applications work. The base font size for lists is set using the Minimum font size setting on the Program Options: Lists screen and the base font size for the Project Explorer is set using the Font size setting on the Program Options: Project Explorer screen.

When using the TMG 5/6 method of window resizing, the font size increases/decreases in list windows when the window size is increased/decreased. The range of the font size change in these windows is controlled by the Minimum font size and Maximum font size settings on the Program Options: Lists screen."

- - - - - - - -

Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions on the transition from v4 to v7.

Virginia

Thanks Virginia

Strangely my eyes seem to have adjusted but will keep this on file .

many thanks