Sign in to follow this  
iamken

Birth Sentence

I am having trouble to make a birth tag sentence come out with some clarity, with my inability to grasp the English language properly.

I have many births that I know only the state, no town. Here is my sentence: [PG] was born <[D]> in [L5]

But when it prints out it does not sound right "Georg was born in 1923 in Kansas."

Since I don't have his day he was born on it just does not sound right. To many "IN's"

Any suggestions I would really appreciate.

Thanks to this dumb question

Kenny

Here is my sentence: [PG] was born in [L5]
Hi Kenny,

I agree with Terry that your sentence is simple and clear. However, if you want to have some flexibility, you could customize your sentence with the use of split memo fields. Maybe something like:

[PG] was born <[M1]>< [D]>< [M2]>< [L]>.< [M3]>

Notice the spaces between the left conditional '

Perhaps your split memo might be:

sometime late in||probably somewhere in southern||He was reported to have nearly died at birth

So your resulting sentence would be:

"Georg was born sometime late in 1923 probably somewhere in southern Kansas. He was reported to have nearly died at birth."

Of course a memo of "in||in" with this sentence structure will give you exactly what you have now.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Thanks

Terry and Michael

I just did not think it looked OK but it sounded OK

You guys are great, so is TMG

Kenny

Kenny,

My only suggestion would be to change [L5] to [L]. TMG is smart enough to know that you only have data in L5 and it will print in Kansas. But if you find out he was born in say Springfield, Kansas and you add the city of Springfield (which I have no idea if it is a city in Kansas, having never been there.), the way you have it written now, you'd still get in Kansas.

Kenny,

My only suggestion would be to change [L5] to [L]. TMG is smart enough to know that you only have data in L5 and it will print in Kansas. But if you find out he was born in say Springfield, Kansas and you add the city of Springfield (which I have no idea if it is a city in Kansas, having never been there.), the way you have it written now, you'd still get in Kansas.

True

I have done just that.

Thanks Teresa