beetle3247

Printing the Filter Results

I've searched the forum and can't seem to a topic that answers this question, so I'll ask.

Besides doing screen prints or copying the search results window and pasting each into another document, which you can then print, is there a way to print the results of the filter? I've developed a complex filter and would rather have the resultant listing printed rather than all the individual's detail, etc. Maybe I've just not gotten deep enough into the app to find out how to do this.

The purpose of a filter is to select people/events/citation .. that fit the criteria of your search.

The simplest way to print your results for a filter would be to use one of the "List of ... " reports i.e. List of People. You can restrict the output to as limited detail as you require.

Not sure what you mean by "a way to print the results of the filter?" What kind of filter are you using, and where are you using it? Let us have more details about what you are doing and what you want, and one of us users might be able to suggest how to accomplish what you wish.

I've developed a complex filter and would rather have the resultant listing printed rather than all the individual's detail, etc.

Can you be more specific? What report and what info do you want included/printed in the resultant listing?

Virginia

I build filters as a means to locate all individuals who were born, died or were buried in a particular location (or were living within a particular time frame, etc.). Using that filtered group I could then search the records within that physical location or specific on-line database (via web or in person) for those individuals. I don't want to carry along a large report, just the names, birth/death dates, etc., so I would know what time ranges to investigate when I get there. Since the results of the filter are displayed in a window I was wondering how I could print just that window. I am fairly new at using TMG and haven't had the time the delve into the fine workings of the program. Neil brought up the "List of People" report which I can try.

You can use the same filter in the List of People report to create a report listing those people. In report Options, set the output columns to display the information you want to see. You can print that report directly, or send it to a word processor or spreadsheet file, and further process it there if you like.

I'm pretty new at this, and can't even seem to accomplish what you are discussing...although it's exactly what I'm trying to do. I am making a research trip to a specific area, and want to print out a list of everything/body pertinent to the area to make my to-do and reference list. Can't figure out how to use the filters. Any suggestions? Thank you so much, in advance, for any help you can provide.

1. go to the List of People report

2. in the report definition screen click on the button "filtered group" then "Add"

3. in the report filter scroll down to "any event ..." and click on it

4. in the subfield selection box hit the down arrow and select "any place field"

5. in the operator box select either "contains" or "equals" (depending on how your data is structured)

6. in the value box, enter the town or country etc that you are interested in