AZBob

Relationships Between Household Members ver 7

Can someone tell me how to do this? Or, maybe direct me to a reference already published somewhere.

I want to show all members of a house hold in both the FAMILY GROUP SHEET, and in the DESCENDANT INDENTED REPORT. This should include adopted children, foster children, non-adopted children from sandwich families.

Example: MARY has two children from her previous marriage. JOHN has one son from his previous marriage. None of these three children have been adopted by the “new” parent. Now MARY and JOHN have another child of their own. I know how to show the correct tags for parentage. But I want to show all six children in the two reports mentioned above with their correct relationship noted. Is this possible?

Bob in AZ

Bob,

If you want to print out in this fashion then the only thing I can think of is that the parent that you are printing the FGS for must have a primary relationship with each of the children.

For his/her own children Fath-Bio, for the other children you need to find a relationship you are comfotable with (Fath-Ado, Fath-Fost, fath-Step or just Fath-Oth). Whichever relationship(s) you choose you need to make them primary for the children to show up on reports.

Bob,

A Family Group Sheet, by long-standing convention in genealogical circles, consists of a "family," defined as a person, their spouse (one of their spouses if they had more than one), and the children by that spouse. If you want to show a different spouse (or co-parent if they weren't married) you create another Family Group Sheet. TMG observes this convention.

TMG's Indented Descendant Report similarly shows only biological children of the parent.

You can, as Neil points out, add parent/child Relationship tags between the new parent and their step/adopted/foster children and make those Relationship Tags primary. If you do, TMG will treat them in reports as if they were biological children of that parent. But no matter which type of Relationship tag you use, there will be no recognition in these reports that they are other than biological children.

You could create a separate Event tag that explains the relationship and include that tag in the output. You would have to experiment to see whether you can do that in a way that produces a report you find satisfactory.

Another way of displaying this complex family would be with a single one page composite of VCF Descendant box charts. The attached chart was originally a "Yours, Mine and Ours" composite of 2 Descendant Charts. To add a level of complexity to your scenario a fake spouse and child were added to make it a "Yours, Mine, Ours and Theirs" Chart. Selected boxes were colored, with explanatary text, to improve clarity.

The grandparents were then added from other charts to gild the lily.

Editing the original YMO chart into a YMOT chart took only a few minutes. The original YMO chart took a little over an hour to construct (after practice).

Note that the VCF chart fits on a single letter size page. TMG reports would take several pages and would not have the clarity, pictures nor sizzle. Techniques for accomplishing the individual operatios required to make this example chart may be found in the VCF forum under topics by Virginia, Robin and me if needed. VCF hand editing can seem to accomplish miracles.

Best wishes,

chart errata: Parents and descendants of Henry Watkins with Amelie Gounin should read Children of Henry Watkins with Amelie Gounin.

post-1983-1305045044_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike Talbot