I'm trying to export a small portion of my database but some events are being excluded. The State Census events are included but the Federal Census events are not. The GedCom tag is CENS for both types of events. On a larger export, only the State Census and the 1790 Federal Census events export. Each Federal Census year has its own event tag: FedCen1XXX. I have done the optimization and validated file integrity. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Debbie

Any tag type marked CENS for export will be exported as a GEDCOM CENS tag if there is one principal or two principals who are married or are the parents of a child. The CENS tags with two individuals as described will be exported in family records, not as individual records so will be found in the family records in the GEDCOM.

Custom census tag types (like all custom tag types) should be exported as EVEN/TYPE not as CENS. Again, these will be exported in individual records if there is one principal and in family records if there are two principals who are married or are the parents of a child.

Okay. I changed the export to EVEN/TYPE for the custom census tags. They still did not appear in the gedcom export.

Now, these events have as a second principal "1XXX US Census", a special individual tag I use for tracking census records. The first principal is the head of household and the other household members are listed as witnesses. Would any of this impact the way the event is exported?

How does the gedcom export treat the witnesses? I don't find the witnesses in the gedcom file at all.

Many thanks for the help.

Debbie,

Now, these events have as a second principal "1XXX US Census", a special individual tag I use for tracking census records. The first principal is the head of household and the other household members are listed as witnesses. Would any of this impact the way the event is exported?

Yes. As Jim said, it will only be exported if there is one Principal, or if there are two and they are either married (have a Marriage Tag together) or have children together. Since the "census person" is not a spouse or co-parent, the tag cannot be exported.

How does the gedcom export treat the witnesses? I don't find the witnesses in the gedcom file at all.

GEDCOM has no provision for Witnesses, so all Witnesses are totally ignored in an export. They do not effect whether or not the Tag is exported, they are not mentioned in the Tag when exported, and the Tag does not appear in their section of the GEDCOM.

I removed the second Principal and that cured the problem. Thank you for the help and explanations.