Location Mapping

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lee Irons

Lee Irons
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:42 PM

I thought TMG 8 was going to return latitude and longitude data from map search results that would then be saved with a place name. What TMG 8 seems to be providing is just simple location searches using online mapping tools launched from TMG. Am I missing something?

#2 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:14 AM

Nothing has changed from TMG7 in regard to the [Get a map of this place] button on the Tag Entry screen.

#3 LornaHenderson

LornaHenderson
  • Senior Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:35 AM

I thought TMG 8 was going to return latitude and longitude data from map search results that would then be saved with a place name. What TMG 8 seems to be providing is just simple location searches using online mapping tools launched from TMG. Am I missing something?

Lee,
the lat/long values are easily obtained from the map search by place name eg google maps by place name
right click on the resulting balloon over the place
select the What's here menu option
then copy/paste the lat/long values that are shown into your place field

Regards,

Lorna
Win 7 Pro  SP1 (Desktop & MacBookPro with Parallels 9)

#4 Lee Irons

Lee Irons
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:44 AM

Lee,
the lat/long values are easily obtained from the map search by place name eg google maps by place name
right click on the resulting balloon over the place
select the What's here menu option
then copy/paste the lat/long values that are shown into your place field

Thank you Lorna. :)

#5 Michael Hannah

Michael Hannah
  • Moderators
  • 2,733 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, Computers

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

Lee,

The thing that has changed in V8 is that the Latitude and Longitude is now stored in the more precise decimal format. Thus if you have a choice of the format to be returned from your search, I recommend selecting the decimal format.
Michael
See my book on how I customize TMG My Way.
My website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users