stony157

Printing Country of Origin Flag Images in Ancestor Box Charts?

I'd like to print a chart with a country of origin flag image within each box for all people or for immigrants from one country to another. Is there any way to include a flag image in ancestor box charts or other ancestor charts?

Edited by stony157

Hi,

sure, that is possible.

A great number of topics and decorated chart examples which may cover what you're looking for have been posted in the VCF Forum over time.

In order to see all topics being posted in this forum please do the following:

-while being on the main page of the VCF forum - http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?showforum=18 click on "Custom" within the bar with the blue background where you also see "Recently Updated".

-on the next submenu select "All Topics" for Show topic type - "Show All" for Time frame - and click the check box on the left of "Remember filters"

-then say "Update Filter"

Now i.e. look for topics started by Mike Talbot who besides others posted a great number of such topics incl. chart examples (i.e. this one: http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?showtopic=14307 ) which may be what you are looking for.

Stony -

There are a couple of ways to do that. You can make the flag the primary exhibit for each person and use the chart exhibit option to include them - or you can manually paste the flag icons into the boxes on the created chart as in the example below. This is a one-page chart and took just a few minutes. I used simple flag images from the TMG graphics folder but there are probably nicer images to be found online.

FLAGS.jpg

Let us know if you need help with inserting images into the created chart. For some beautiful examples of images in charts, look for Mike Talbot's composite charts in the forum.

Virginia

Stony -

An alternative to country flags for showing country of origin is to color-accent the ancestors by country of origin using TMG Flags and including a legend in the chart to explain the colors.

Legend7t.jpg

I made the legend (a small table) in Word and then inserted a screenshot (image) of the table in the chart. The legend can be created in VCF using text boxes, but it is quick and easy in Word - and the table can be saved and used in other charts, changing the text and colors as needed.

Virginia