Sign in to follow this  
bluedog

getting a list of the most recent entires

Is it possible to get a list of the most recent entries I've done on my program? Is it possible to get that on a data set I imported from a ged file?

I uploaded some of my information to Ancestry.com. I added several 1940 census tags (and other records) to the tree on Ancestry.com. Of course, now I would like them on my real data set on TMG, but I've forgotten which people I added the 1940 census records too. Apparently I cannot get a report on that website showing who I added records to so I thought I'd try exporting the file and importing into a temporary project.

Anyone have suggestions on how I might get a list without too much trouble? Thanks.

You can't get a list of recently changed Tags, but you can get a list of People filtered on Last Changed date. That can show the people for whom some change was made since a date you specify. Unfortunately, for people in an imported Data Set, I think the most recent change will be the date of import, not changes made before that. You could look at some of them to check this.

Well, it depends on what you want.

If all you want to do is find all the people who now have your new tag, then run a "List of People" report. Assuming the tag's label is "Census1940", set the Filtered group for that report to:

Census1940 // # of Tags // > Is greater than // 0 // END

You could also use this filter on the Project Explorer.

As Terry suggests, you could use the "Last Edited Date". Maybe you already had added some of those Census1940 tags to some people, and want to find which people had been edited since the first of October (for example) and have a new tag. You might set the Filtered group for that report to:

Last Edited Date // > Comes after // 01 Oct 2012 // AND

Census1940 // # of Tags // > Is greater than // 0 // END

However you need to understand what actions cause TMG to automatically update the "Last Edited Date". It is a value associated with the person, not with any tags. It is updated whenever TMG thinks any change of any kind has been made to any of that person's data. For example whenever you open any tag for a person, and exit the tag using the "OK", TMG will assume that you made some change to that tag (even if you did not make a change, only viewed it) and will update the "Last Edited Date" for that person. Thus many "Last Edited Date" values may be more recent than any actual change to that person. (It is why I try to remember to "Cancel" out of a tag if I am just viewing it.) The "Last Edited Date" can also be updated when using Secondary Output on some reports, but that is a bit more complex. Just realize you are likely to get more people than you expect.

As a third alternative, if you wish to know exactly what changes you made, that can be done if you have both a "before" and "after" copy of your dataset. You can run two Individual Narrative reports, one on each of the before and after datasets, being careful to include all people and all tags and using the identical report options. Select the output for these two reports as a word processor (e.g. Word). Now use the built-in feature of most word processors to compare what are expected to be two versions of the same document. Using the word processor search facility you can locate all changes. A bit tedious, but can be done. (Another reason to make periodic backups.)

Hope this gives you some ideas,