janelle

spouse on ancestor chart

I want to print a five generation ancestor chart for my grandfather. I want the box with his name to list his marriage date to my grandmother, but since she was not his first wife, it gives the date of his first marriage instead of the date of his marriage to my grandmother. How do I change that?

TMG has to be told which of multiple spouses is the "primary" spouse to use in charts which can only have one spouse. TMG uses what it calls the "last viewed spouse". In the HELP file under the topic "Tree View" it mentions the "last viewed spouse". There are many ways to set the "last viewed spouse" but I find changing to the Tree View and then cycling through the spouses until the one desired is listed in the Tree View to be the easiest way to set this. But warning, there are many ways you might change the "last viewed spouse" as you edit your data. I know of no way to "fix" which spouse should be the "last viewed spouse". Perhaps other users will mention other ways this setting can be changed.

Janelle -

You can edit the text in the chart. Doubleclick on that line of text in the grandfather's box and edit it to the date of the second marriage. You might want to first experiment with editing the text in a chart in the Sample project. And save your chart before making the edit in case there is a problem.

Virginia

I just have the marriage associated with the Spouse. For example, for Grandpa I show Birth and Death Dates but for the non-linear side of the family I show Birth, Marriage, and Death.