install reinstall error log file

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mijul

mijul
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:33 AM

My computer died.  I installed TMG v8 on my new computer.  When I tried to open a project, it said that it was created in a newer version of TMG v8.  I tried to do an update, but got this error message; "Error opening installation log file.  Verify that the specific log file location exists and you can writ to it."  Where is this file located, and why would I be having trouble with this since this is a new installation?

#2 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:28 AM

Just download the latest version from the WhollyGenes website and install it.

The installation log file is located here...

"C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist v8 Installertmginstall.log"

#3 mijul

mijul
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:25 AM

I uninstalled TMG v8 from my computer and downloaded the latest version, but I still get the same message when I try to run the program.  (I get it just after I select English as the set-up language.)  I have a 64 bit system, so the path above isn't exactly correct for my system.  My path is: C:Program files (x86)The Master Genealogist v8.  I deleted this folder before I attempted to re-install TMG v8.  This should give me a clean install as if I never had v8 on this computer before, shouldn't it?

#4 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

The instructions for a clean install are here...

http://www.whollygen...showtopic=14634

The path that I showed you for the installer log (above) is correct irrespective of which version of the operating system you are running.

#5 Virginia Blakelock

Virginia Blakelock
  • Moderators
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

mijul

Note that the installation log will be in a different location (C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist v8 Installertmginstall.log) from your program installation (C:Program files (x86)The Master Genealogist v8).

Virginia

Win7 Professional x64

#6 mijul

mijul
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

There is no such folder on my system.  I do not have ANY TMG v8 files, (only v7) they have all been deleted so I could start with a fresh installation.  However, I get this error message when I start the installer program (tmg8setup.exe) I downloaded from the Wholly Genes website. As soon as I click "English-US" in the language dialog box, I get the error message.  So the installation stops before any files are written.  I checked the path, C: Program files (x86).  The folder for TMG v7 is there, but no TMG v8 folder.  

I appreciate your help, but it's not a question of finding a missing file.  The problem is that the installer program will not create this or any other file.  I thought that perhaps the installation file was corrupted when I downloaded it.  So I downloaded it a second time but still get the same results.  Suggestions for the next step?

#7 Helmut Leininger

Helmut Leininger
  • Senior Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

For me this sounds like a problem with the access rights. Did you try to run tmg8setup "as Administrator" ?

Regards
Helmut

#8 mijul

mijul
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:36 AM

A-ha!  Sometimes the answer is so obvious you just can't see it.  If I uploaded a photo of myself right now, you would see that my face is quite red with embarrassment. Thank you, Helmut.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: install, reinstall, error, log file

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users