MJG

Upgrading to TMG v9 from v8 on a Mac

I use VmWare Fusion to access my TMG v8 Project - I have 1 Project only. I can't figure out how to change the Backup location to have ann external location for it, e.g. a Flash Drive storage location. Until I can do that, I'm afraid v9 may uninstall v8.

I'd appreciate any help on the Upgrade.

Wishing Wholly Genes would go to Mac…..

Thanks,

MJ Gatti

Why can't you use Windows Explorer and copy your v8 backup to a flash drive?

v8 and v9 are separate programs. Installing v9 should have no effect on the v8 installation.

In addition, uninstalling the program should have no effect on your data files.

And v8 and v9 use different default data folders.

I can't find Windows Explorer - don't know how to get to it.

Do I really need to uninstall TMG v8? If I were prompted, I'd choose a different name for the v9 Folder. Will that be possible? I have Windows 7.

I'm reluctant to ask Wholly Genes Support, good as they are, because they don't deal with Mac.

Thanks for your expertise,

MJ

Again... TMG9 is a different program from TMG8. It has its own program and data folders.

Windows Explorer is under Start Button / Accessories / System Tools (something like that). I'm not running Win7 so can't look.

I use Parallels, however I believe VMWare Fusion is quite similar.

If you have not seen my article on Using TMG 8 on a Mac I suggest you check it out.

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?showtopic=13018

Depending on your Mac OS version and VMWare Fusion version you may not need to have your TMG Project files on the Windows side, I've had reports from folks that are running the latest version of OS X and Parallels that they don't have problems with the TMG Projects files on the Mac side.

Edited by ggilbert1

I recently purchased TMG V9 and have been trying to use it with my iMac 10.9.2 using Parallels and Windows 7. I have been unsuccessful in restoring the project. When I use the "Restore Wizard" and get to Step 2 and attempt to restore to "psf\Home\Documents\TheMasterGenealogistV9\Projects" I get the message "wrong destination path". I am looking for help and the TMG help desk has been unhelpful.

TMG can’t handle a path that doesn’t start with a drive letter. :no: Depending on your Parallels sharing settings in Windows File Explorer and or Computer you should find a Z Drive and perhaps other drives, (the drive letter may vary, it has been my experience that Parallels starts mapping at Z and goes forward.)

In step 2 of the Restore Wizard use the […] ellipsis button and navigate to the mapped drive, for me this is usually way down near the bottom of the list. Look for Home on ‘psf’ (Z:) then drill down to the TMG Project folder (again the drive letter may vary depending on your share settings in Parallels)

In the Restore project to this folder: you should wind up with something like: Z:\Documents\The Master Genealogist V9\Projects\

In my article see the section Backup File location. Also read the section: A caution about adding exhibits via drag and drop:

Finally if you experience any problems with your TMG project files located on the Mac side relocate them to the Windows side – see the section: Fixing a broken installation.

TMG can’t handle a path that doesn’t start with a drive letter. :no: Depending on your Parallels sharing settings in Windows File Explorer and or Computer you should find a Z Drive and perhaps other drives, (the drive letter may vary, it has been my experience that Parallels starts mapping at Z and goes forward.)

In step 2 of the Restore Wizard use the […] ellipsis button and navigate to the mapped drive, for me this is usually way down near the bottom of the list. Look for Home on ‘psf’ (Z:) then drill down to the TMG Project folder (again the drive letter may vary depending on your share settings in Parallels)

In the Restore project to this folder: you should wind up with something like: Z:\Documents\The Master Genealogist V9\Projects\

In my article see the section Backup File location. Also read the section: A caution about adding exhibits via drag and drop:

Finally if you experience any problems with your TMG project files located on the Mac side relocate them to the Windows side – see the section: Fixing a broken installation.

Thanks, with your help and advice I was successful on the restore.