TMG Legacy Import GBMAIN exception

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kees Hessels

Kees Hessels
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:12 AM

After installing succesfull (the second try) the latest (9.01) TMG-version. i tried to create an new project, importing a Legacy 8 fdb-file.

At 36% person-information-import i get the "Declare DLL call caused an exception 1014 GBMAIN"-error, with no further clue. TMG locks.

Can someone help?

#2 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:26 AM

First of all, import of the Legacy 8 database is not supported and that's probably the cause of the error. You'll need to try a Legacy 7 database. And I don't see any way to make a Legacy 7 database from Legacy 8 unless I'm missing something. Neither Save as... or Export provides a way to select an older Legacy database version.

You'll probably need to make a GEDCOM and I would try the GEDCOM type as GEDCOM 5.5.1 (that might make problems) or Generic.

The bottom line is that transferring the data is going to require a bit of experimenting.

Make sure that you do the import from the TMG Welcome screen, not from the File menu.

#3 oorsini

oorsini
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:00 PM

I am also trying to import a Legacy v8 database, even the sample database returns an error. I specifically am getting the error "Declare DLL call caused an exception 1023 GBMAIN".

I saw your response Jim, saying Legacy v8 is not supported.

Is there any plans to add support for the Legacy v8 format?

I was specifically hoping to regularly import my legacy v8 databases just like I did with Legacy v7.

I can try the GEDCOM import option as you suggest but I am worried about loss of fidelity with that approach.

Would you say I should expect an equivalent import with GEDCOM? or is there most likely going to be a loss of information as compared to a native Legacy import?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Occhio Orsini

#4 oorsini

oorsini
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:42 AM

I am also trying to import a Legacy v8 database, even the sample database returns an error. I specifically am getting the error "Declare DLL call caused an exception 1023 GBMAIN".

I saw your response Jim, saying Legacy v8 is not supported.

Is there any plans to add support for the Legacy v8 format?

I was specifically hoping to regularly import my legacy v8 databases just like I did with Legacy v7.

I can try the GEDCOM import option as you suggest but I am worried about loss of fidelity with that approach.

Would you say I should expect an equivalent import with GEDCOM? or is there most likely going to be a loss of information as compared to a native Legacy import?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Occhio Orsini

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TMG, Legacy, Import, GBMAIN, exception

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users