Jump to content


Photo

Invalid GEDCOM Output

GEDCOM

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Whit

Whit
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:24 AM

I have several datasets that I have maintained and added to over many years, going all the way back to the DOS version of TMG.  I'm currently using version 9.04.  About once each year I export a GEDCOM of each (current) dataset and upload it to an on-line genealogy service.  Recently, exporting one of the datasets produced a severely truncated output, even though the processing of the export took a normal/reasonable amount of time, and messages from TMG show the right number of people (2035) and families (795).  Some of the output seems okay, but much of the dataset does not make it into the GEDCOM output file.  When viewed in TMG, the dataset looks perfectly normal, even looking at the families where the cutoff in the GEDCOM seems to have occurred.  I get no on-screen error messages directly from TMG during export, and I do get the final note that says the GEDCOM has been created.  There are sometimes error messages in the log file, but I can't interpret them.  I have tried re-indexing the dataset, and that doesn't help.  I last produced a valid GEDCOM from this dataset in Version 8 (or possibly 7--I didn't notice at first that there were missing families in the output).  The GEDCOM output seems to be of a different size each time I try it, but always much smaller than it should be.  There are no apparent changes or problems in the display of the dataset within TMG v9.  The last line of output of the GEDCOM file is a "1 FAMS @F10@", rather than the normal source information lines and final "TRLR".

 

I haven't found any problems in exporting a GEDCOM from ver. 9 with any of my other datasets.  Is there a validation tool for checking datasets, one that might check for non-obvious errors?  Does anyone have any other suggestions on exporting the GEDCOM?

 

 



#2 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Framingham, MA

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:26 AM

The GEDCOM export truncation is caused by some third party application on your system. There are a number of topics on this subject. The usual cause is something like DropBox or a virus checker (as examples). You need to disable the third party application when doing the GEDCOM export.

 

Some people have found that exporting in Safe Mode allows a full GEDCOM export.

 

Example topic...

http://www.whollygen...xport-from-tmg/



#3 Whit

Whit
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:18 PM

Thanks, Jim.  The other topic thread had the answer, though your solution would have probably worked as well.  I simply turned off my McAfee real time scanning and I got a full GEDCOM export.  For those with McAfee software, that is probably the problem and turning it off seems to work.  Maybe there are other programs that can interfere too, but presumably starting in safe mode would turn everything else off.







Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GEDCOM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users