jamiepoindexter

Ver 9.05 Registration is lost when Win Updates happens

Every time my Windows 8.1 installs Windows Updates, my registration key is lost when I launch TMG 9.05. When TMG's splash window opens, it shows the registration number in the lower right, but the upper right says my trial version has expired and it will open my database in a limited mode. So before opening the database, I have to click on the button to register and re-enter my registration info. I then click OK and it says I successfully registered. This happens on two installations I have on two different laptops, both running Version 9.05 on Windows 8.1.

TMG 9.01 on my Win 7 laptop doesn't do this. The registration is not lost. And no, I am not opening the same database with it.

Any ideas?

Edited by jamiepoindexter

Removing the registration information is a Windows 8+ feature.

Run TMG by right-clicking on the shortcut and selecting 'Run as administrator'.

Enter your registration information.

Click [OK] and then exit TMG.

Now you can run TMG normally and the registration information is stored where Win 8+ won't delete it.

OK, this happening again in Windows 10. I followed the original instructions for Win 8.1 but it isn't helping. I have to remember to run as admin every time I want to use TMG. That remembers my registration. But if I forget and just click on the shortcut, TMG says I am using the trial version.

Anyone have suggestions?

I have no problem running TMG as standard user (using an account with administrator privileges) with no lost registration issues under Windows 10 as long as the instructions above are followed.

To solve this problem in WIN 10, I had to uninstall TMG. I then reinstalled it and ran as administrator. and registered the product. It has now been working fine when I launch TMG for the past couple of weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed.