Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 margaret.macintosh@bigfoot.com

margaret.macintosh@bigfoot.com
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:03 AM

I made the quantum leap and updated to Windows 10 on my laptop.  BIG MISTAKE.  I started getting error messages telling me I was denied access to the program.  I trird a number of fixes including backing up my TMG priject file to a USB pen drive, uninstalling TMG, reinstalling....still error messages.... ran repair...still a problem.  Since I had just updated Windows I had the 30 days in which to run it back to windows 7 pro, which I did. Another mistake. Still the problem, and when I tried to uninstall TMG an error maessage came up and I couldn't uninstall.

I then foolishly manually deleted all TMG folders, and references to the master genealogist in regedit. (I should know better!!)

I installed TMG 9.5 on my old Win XP desktop and imported my project backup. It worked perfectly and still does.

I then reinstalled a clean version of TMG on the now win 7 pro laptop and, having transferred my backup file from the pendrive to the Documents folder, restored it.  I had to re-enter our details name email ser no as expected.  It ran perfectly.  I closed the laptop down, restarted it and tried to open TMG.  it came up with :

Program Error
File accrss is denied c:\...\documents\the master genealogistv9\logs\programstartlog.log

I selected 'Ignore'  another error window came up,  'Ignore' again and a third time, then I had to re-enter the name /email and ser no. again.  Then I could use it. 

Any ideas? 

Iain MacIntosh

#2 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:31 AM

Make sure that the paths in Preferences are correct. I've had a Windows 10 installation truncate the user account name to 5 characters with the result being that all TMG project paths were incorrect and required updating.

#3 margaret.macintosh@bigfoot.com

margaret.macintosh@bigfoot.com
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:27 AM

Thanks for that.  It is a strange experience.  Having rolled back to Widows 7, I still had the error messages showing.  I had the TMG shortcut pinned to the bottom taskbar and every time I tried to open TMG,  up popped the errors.  I unpinned the icon from the takbar and right clicked on the desktop icon, selected 'Run as Administrator', and it has been running perfectly with no errors.  The downside, if I can call it that, is that when I tried to re-download  Windows 10, it downloaded, verified, but when it started to install it came up with.......yes.... an error message,  suggesting I restart my computer and re-install Win 10!! After 3 attempts I guess I'll stay with windows 7 ..fort the moment!

Over to you Microsoft!!

Thanks again

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Windows 10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users