• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Terry Reigel

Terry Reigel
  • Moderators
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:59 PM

Bob,

Are you sure it's really stopped? Windows has a nasty habit of getting in a snit when programs are too busy to respond to it's nagging and report they are are not responding when they are still working. Check Task Manager, the Processes tab, to see if VCF is still working.

Terry

See my Tutorials and Articles on using TMG at tmg.reigelridge.com

The Second Edition of my book, A Primer for The Master Genealogist, is still available
. For more information see my website.

#22 rlgleason51

rlgleason51

BobG

• Senior Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:54 PM

Good point, one I should have thought of. Will try again tomorrow.

#23 Virginia Blakelock

Virginia Blakelock
  • Moderators
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:24 PM

There must be something in the report definition unique to my setup.  Just reading through it I can't see anything.

There is a discussion of  a  similar very simple one-page chart in the forum here:

http://www.whollygen...showtopic=10885

This lists the settings and shows the resultant chart..  You may get some ideas for a basic chart from that.  At the top of the VCF forum are links to examples of other one-page charts.

Sorry not to have been of more help with this particular chart.

Virginia

Win7 Professional x64

#24 rlgleason51

rlgleason51

BobG

• Senior Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:59 AM

Terry/Virginia

Thanks to you both for your efforts. Still not able to produce a chart, even tho I kept getting 'program not responding' messages. Tried running for about an hour, still nothing.

Virginia, will look at the links you point d me to.

#25 Virginia Blakelock

Virginia Blakelock
  • Moderators
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:13 AM

There may be no connection to your problem, but do you have the Wholly Genes PDF printer installed and - under that printer Properties - the port set to Nul ?  TMG uses that printer driver for the screen display.  Note it does not have to be, nor should it be, your default printer, just installed on the computer.

The report configuration I sent you was for a Descendant chart.  If it installed properly it should appear in the list of charts on the dropdown list at the top of the Descendant Chart configuration page. 

Virginia

Win7 Professional x64

#26 rlgleason51

rlgleason51

BobG

• Senior Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:40 AM

Yes, I have the wholly Genes PDF printer installed and the port is set to null.  Your chart does appear in the dropdown list and I have been selecting it from there.  I have other printing issues that have not been resolved (tho the forum has tried hard) so that may be my problem.

#27 Virginia Blakelock

Virginia Blakelock
  • Moderators
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:47 AM

Don't know of this applies, but there are discussions on the Mac forums about printer problems under Parallels:

https://forum.parall...-solution.2549/

Virginia

Win7 Professional x64

#28 rlgleason51

rlgleason51

BobG

• Senior Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:05 AM

Tried all of that.  Even had discussions with Glenn Gilbert, the parallels guru.  I've narrowed it down to a missing windows 7 file due to the error message I get, but the solution is to drastic for me to attempt.  I've developed workarounds for all of my printing (except now of course VCF).

#29 John Cardinal

John Cardinal
  • Senior Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:37 PM

Bob,

You have Second Site (SS), right? You wrote earlier that "I want a quick and dirty descendant chart that I can show on my monitor and scroll thru," and SS should do that for you without using JPG and without using print-related technology. An SS chart is made with HTML and the names are text so you can use your browser's "search this page" feature to find people on the chart, and that may be valuable with a large chart. The chart will be integrated with the SS web site, so you can click on the chart entry to go to see that person's details.

#30 rlgleason51

rlgleason51

BobG

• Senior Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:39 PM

I looked at ss and missed the option. I'll look again now that I know it is there somewhere. Thanks

#31 John Cardinal

John Cardinal
  • Senior Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:56 PM

Bob,

Add a Descendant Chart User Item. Specify the ID of the starting person as the Subject ID. That's about all there is to it. You can tweak the chart settings from there if you want.

#32 rlgleason51

rlgleason51

BobG

• Senior Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:17 AM

John - thanks for the info, works like a charm

#33 rlgleason51

rlgleason51

BobG

• Senior Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:31 AM

Update: VCF is working now. I upgraded to a more powerful Mac and I am now happily using VCF.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users