I would like to print a JPG descendant box chart for each one of my four lines, one of which may be large When I try this, however, I get an error that VCF has stopped working and I need to close the program.

I don't need anything fancy, just a visual image of my lines. Any tips or hints?

Thanks

Can you cut down on the amount of information in each box - limit to birth/death years and locations?

The threads on the forum about one-page charts may give you some ideas for creating multiple smaller charts.

Virginia

Just to note... The charts will be of much higher quality if saved as .PDF files rather than as bitmap image files such as .JPG. The images saved in the .PDF documents will be vector images with no staircasing as you have with bitmap images.

Virginia - your comment about one page charts leads me to believe I am being unrealistic in what I hope to do:

I want a quick and dirty descendant chart that I can show on my monitor and scroll thru. I guess the digital equivalent of a wall chart without the fancy stuff. I was thinking that saving the chart to jpg (or pdf as Jim suggested), would bypass the page size more I read into your 'one page chart' comment, I am now thinking that is not possibles? I was hoping for minimal interaction with VCF at this time to avoid cranial overload.

Bob -

If your email address is still the same as in your WG forum information, I sent you a simple VCF configuration file you can experiment with. These are simple text files - so you can read through the settings to get an idea of how to downsize a wall chart.

Virginia

Virginia

I am not familiar with VCF so I must be missing a step as I do not see your chart in the list of VCF charts. Here is what I did:

Copied your file to : c:\users\'username'\my documents\the master genealogist v9\

From there I was lost. Was not sure how and could not figure out how to display the VCF list of charts. Tried via TMG and VCF.

Oops, my bad - That is where I put it, I justI left off the last folder:

c:\users\'username'\my documents\the master genealogist v9\Configuration files

Once the file is in the correct folder, it should be listed under TMG / Reports / Ancestor Box Chart. Those files are simple text files that you can open and edit in WordPad or other text editor. There may be a folder location in that file where it was saved on my computer. When you save the file on your computer it will insert your own file path. You can always go into the file and delete my folder path if it is a problem.

Virginia

Okay, problem solved. I checked the file locations within TMG preferences and found the my default path is slightly different than the norm (I am running TMG under Parallels, hence the diff.) copied your file into that location and it now appears in TMG reports list as you had described.

I will take look at it later and see if I can make it work for me.

Thanks.

Virginia

I tried creating the chart, but after 15-20 minutes of processing, I get the dreaded "Visual Chart Form has stopped responding" message. I checked the options you had set but could not really determine items that I could be causing undue precessing so I left them as selected.

any thoughts?

Bob,

Are you sure it's really stopped? Windows has a nasty habit of getting in a snit when programs are too busy to respond to it's nagging and report they are are not responding when they are still working. Check Task Manager, the Processes tab, to see if VCF is still working.

There must be something in the report definition unique to my setup. Just reading through it I can't see anything.

There is a discussion of a similar very simple one-page chart in the forum here:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?showtopic=10885

This lists the settings and shows the resultant chart.. You may get some ideas for a basic chart from that. At the top of the VCF forum are links to examples of other one-page charts.

Sorry not to have been of more help with this particular chart.

Virginia

Terry/Virginia

Thanks to you both for your efforts. Still not able to produce a chart, even tho I kept getting 'program not responding' messages. Tried running for about an hour, still nothing.

Virginia, will look at the links you point d me to.

There may be no connection to your problem, but do you have the Wholly Genes PDF printer installed and - under that printer Properties - the port set to Nul ? TMG uses that printer driver for the screen display. Note it does not have to be, nor should it be, your default printer, just installed on the computer.

The report configuration I sent you was for a Descendant chart. If it installed properly it should appear in the list of charts on the dropdown list at the top of the Descendant Chart configuration page.

Virginia