Leslie1899

Using a Table format for estate inventories

I'm really tired of seeing my carefully-transcribed estate inventories mangled in Second Site (preferred) or Journal output. I've tried creating a formatted table in word processing, pasting it into the memo field in TMG with no joy. I output and pasted the table in RTF; also no joy.  I've tried using tabs in TMG to create a decent-looking inventory which doesn't work either, especially when I use SS. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to proceed? I don't use Word, but can create docx and excel files out of Quattro Pro. However, the translation makes it difficult to proof because any output is re-translated back into the native software. Therefore, I haven't tried this methodology.

If all else fails, I guess I could create the output in HTML within SS, but that would leave it out of my TMG database. This is an idea that doesn't really suit me, partly because I'm not sure about whether decimal formats are really translated accurately in HTML. I feel it necessary to apologize on my site for the way the inventories look because nothing satisfies both output formats.

Regards,

Leslie1899

Someone on another forum suggested creating the table, scanning it into a jpeg and adding it to your report as a photo. Have you already considered and rejected that?

- Sally Houston

Thanks so much, Sally. I'd remembered creating the table part, but had forgotten about scanning as a jpeg!! That's what I'll do.

Thanks again for reminding me. I'd not been able to find the post on the SS archives (which I've never found helpful).

Leslie1899

Leslie,

Another alternative for Second Site is to create a table in HTML so it fits well on the web page. If you also use TMG output, you can use one method in TMG and the HTML in Second Site by use of [HID:] ... [:HID] codes and  the special Second Site "unhide" codes to control which version gets displayed in which medium.

Preparing a table and scanning it to a jpg worked well for Second Site output.  Whereas the [HId:] [:HID] prevents the TMG version of the inventory from appearing, it also appears to prevent the TMG version of the inventory from being shown in a TMG report. Clearly, I'm missing something vital. SS page looks good; TMG Journal for one person test doesn't show the inventory at all.

I've no interest in trying to deal with trying to create a table in HTML.

Leslie

If you are using two separate versions for TMG and Second Site, you hide them from each other like this:

For the TMG version:  [HID:][SS-HID:][:HID] ... TMG only content ... [HID:][:SS-HID][:HID]

The [SS-HID:] ... [:SS-HID] codes tell Second Site to ignore what is between them. Nesting them inside TMG's [HID:] ... [:HID] codes keeps TMG from seeing the Second Site codes.

For the Second Site Version: [HID:][SS:] ... Second site only content...[:SS][:HID]

The [SS:] ... [:SS] codes tell Second Site to ignore the TMG [HID:] ... [:HID] codes, which hide this content from TMG.

I had a major Apple crash yesterday and couldn't try this out. All's well today after pulling the plug! I'm failing to understand something here:

1. For TMG output of the transcribed inventory, if I nest [HID:][SS-HID:][:HID] ... TMG only content ... [HID:][:SS-HID][:HID] , I get no TMG output at all in a Journal report. SS works fine, ignoring the typed transcript and using the scanned jpg as I want it to.

2. I guess I simply don't understand. I do not want to hide the typed transcript from TMG which I want to output it in a report. I want SS to use the jpg and ignore the typed memo. What am I doing wrong?

Regards,

Leslie

When you want something to appear in TMG output but not SecondSite, and vice versa, the embedded formatting codes Terry mentions generally are the answer.  One way to use these codes is to use two separate tags, one which hides its output from TMG but not from SecondSite, and the other the reverse.

I have used two tags, but I usually choose to include both output in a single tag.  That means you combine both the codes Terry mentioned together:

[HID:][SS-HID:][:HID] ... TMG only content ... [HID:][:SS-HID][SS:] ... SS only content ... [:SS][:HID]

Hope this makes things clearer,

Michael

Thanks, Michael, I've got it now. Given it's an estate inventory tag, I prefer using the one tag so will use your idea when I can again sit at the computer to do the input. I'm limited in how many minutes I can sit (and if you think this isn't annoying, think again!).

Leslie

Worked beautifully!!! Thank you so much Terry and Michael. In the fullness of time, I'll redo all my estate inventories - perhaps :)  At least the ones of ancestors.

Leslie

Leslie,

For SS output, don't use a JPG. Use an HTML table. That will leave the text as text, which has several advantages. If you have a scan of an original document, then include that, but add the transcription as an HTML table.

John