Sign in to follow this  
Charles J. Vella

.fpt error

Hi

I am getting a message that one of my .fpt files is missing or corrupted, specifically the I.fpt file. It definitely exists, so may be a corrupted data file. When attempting to print out an individual detail report, I ge:

Memo file c:\Dropbox\TMG8\2 MHSXMHSJ.FPT is missing or is invalid.

Any clues how I can fix this file?

Many thanks

Charlie Vella

We've repeatedly warned about exposing your working project to cloud services since the project very easily can be corrupted.

It's difficult to locate the damaged record and repair a .FPT file and having the project in the Dropbox folder makes things much more complicated.

Do you have a current copy of the project in a location such as the TMG projects folder?

If you haven't recently added any exhibits, you can use the _I.dbf and _I.fpt files from your most recent backup. (That's I (eye) right?) You would need to reindex after refreshing the files.

%%%%%%%%%%

Since you got the error running a report, you could identify all of the exhibits being output in that report. Then check each exhibit and delete the one that has corruption. It might be the caption for example. There are 15 fields in the memo file any one of which could be corrupted. Although only a few of those fields are likely to be used. It's possible that only one field in the memo linked to one exhibit record is corrupted. Although I typically find the entire memo linked to one record is corrupted. Then re-add and configure the exhibit.

Jim

This is example of a printout of all the obits in my project (it spits out 7 copies of the same memo). I have not added exhibits in awhile:

image.png.1cdf655493555413a0a13a94ddd5226f.png

This doesn't help since I have no context.

This is a Individual Detail report (with default settings) for Ann Pulis (don't know her birthname) who has one Obituary event (and no exhibits appear to be involved in the report)?

Did you try to replace the files with those from a recent backup? That's easy if you have a backup with an undamaged .FPT file. You must replace both the .DBF and .FPT files.

Editing the files requires proper tools and then you need to locate the damaged .FPT memo(s) and that's non-trivial.

Jim

Unfortunately all my backups have same issue. I have tried multiple replacements of both files and all come up with same extra garbage in the printout.

What databse was used to create these data file?

You are getting both a exhibit .FTP error and reports with missing text? There are separate issues? If so you have damage to more than one table.

TMG 9 was created using Visual FoxPro 9 with Service Pack 2 (plus additional add-ons and libraries). For example, GenBridge and the report manager are additional libraries.

Jim

I tried running a individual narrative asking to print out all obits whose memo was not empty and I got a perfect print out of all 1379 obits. Which solves the original problem I had. Individual detail still does not work for same output.

Many thanks for your help. Do you still use TMG9 or have you switched?

Charles, I have heard mentioned of a rare few cases where the specific filters "Is empty" and "Is not empty" do not work, as reported in my on-line list of remaining bugs in TMG9.  I am not totally surprised that a different report will work with that filter as that seems common.  If you care you might try the operator "Contains" in an Individual Detail report if you can think of something like the text "the" which they will all contain.

P.S. I am still actively using TMG9 with SecondSite output.