Sign in to follow this  
Pam Wood Waugh

New Laptop Installation

Not sure this is very active anymore. I got a new laptop last June, for TMG. I had so many issues on the install, I quit, and it has been sitting here unused for 11 mos. Fastforward: my 5 yr old Dell is really wonky and on it's way out. Display keeps going black. I need to get my DB to a new machine.

So today I am trying again.  The old install shows as OS (C:)>Program Files(x86)> The Master Genealogist v9 and then all the folders show under that folder. 

Old machine I look under This PC> Users>2390> Documents> The Master Genealogist v9> my Backups and Exhibits, config files are all there.

___

My new laptop shows I go to This PC> Windows (C:)>Program Files (x86)> The Master Genealogist v9> all the folders are there and fine.

If I look under This PC, I have to hit Windows(C;) first, then Users> 2390> Documents...it is completely empty. no Folders whatsoever. 

My old laptop shows under Backup Data Wizard: 
C:\Users\2390\Documents\The Master Genealogist v9\Projects\MergedFamily_.PJC

Suggestions?

Join the former Rootweb list: TMG-L@groups.io

There is a very active group there. This sort of problem seems to show up several times a month on the list.

- Sally Houston

> My old laptop shows under Backup Data Wizard: 
> C:\Users\2390\Documents\The Master Genealogist v9\Projects\MergedFamily_.PJC

You can use a flash drive to copy the 'The Master Genealogist v9' folder from the Documents folder on your old machine to the Documents folder on the new laptop.

When you run TMG on the new laptop, use File / Open to select your project. Be sure to check Preferences to be sure that the paths for the project on the new laptop are correct.