Admin

Add children efficiently

Add children efficiently

Applies to: TMG

Tip: The easiest way to add two or more children is to use the add sibling commands Add > Brother, Add > Sister, or Add > Sibling.

Add the first child by navigating to one of the parents and choosing Add > Son, Add > Daughter, or Add > Child. (Use Add > Child if you don't know the gender of the child)

For subsequent children, you don't have to navigate back to one of the parents: use Add > Brother, Add > Sister, or Add > Sibling instead. (Use Add > Sibling if you don't know the gender of the sibling)

In this case, TMG considers the new person a full sibling, i.e., they have the same mother and father. If that is not the case, don't use this method.

Just a point, but as far as I can tell you can only select Add a Child from the Add Menu and not from the Add New Person button on the toolbar. The latter only allows son or daughter as the child option for a parent.

Les

How do you add a sibling when you don't know the name of either parent?

I think you need to add a father first ( as Surname ), then you can do it. Without any parents I have also found you cannot add a sibling. It may be possible to add the sibling as initially unrelated and make the relationship later.

I would be interested to see if there is any other way to do this.

Les Wylde

I think you need to add a father first ( as Surname ), then you can do it. Without any parents I have also found you cannot add a sibling. It may be possible to add the sibling as initially unrelated and make the relationship later.

Les Wylde

Unfortunately I don't know her surname or her twin sister's, just their married names. I can add her as unrelated, but can't connect the two until I get one of their parents added. Sure would be nice if it were designed so this was possible without the parents.

You cannot enter a "sibling" (or "brother" or "sister") without telling the program how you define the term. Do you mean that the two children have a father, a mother, or both in common?

Your decision about which parent(s) the children have in common is one thing. What those parent(s) happen to have been called is a completely different issue. You can record their proper place in the world (i.e., common parent(s) to these children) without knowing their names.

See also this FAQ entry.

Les Wylde

Les, I have had that problem a couple of times, so what I have done is create a father named ________ Smith and a mother named _________ _____________, THEN added the siblings. Later, when I find out exactly who the parents are I can go back and fill in the blanks and add other data.