LornaHenderson

Disappearing witnesses

I think this is a recurrence of an old problem, and I can't fully tell you what all I did, but in general terms...

Created a new census tag for P1, keyed in id for P2, added citation, input memo, added each of the household members as Witnesses

Then clicked on tag type to create a new role for the principals

Moved it up to the matching witness one that was already there.

F9d out.

changed both principals to the new role.

(I think I may have used the pulldown name list for P2 and not changed her name as I didn't have it input at that stage)

Witnesses were still there at that point as I opened each of them to allocate the required role to them.

F9d.

Went into each to create new name tags as they appeared on the census and was puzzled to not find them linked to their parents' census tag any more.

Sure enough, they weren't listed as witnesses at all under any roles, gone, disappeared.

Hi Lorna,

It appears that we are in the same boat, as I posted about the exact same thing happening to me last week! (My post is also in this section, titled something like 'dissappearing witnessed tags').

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...?showtopic=4132

The bad news is that I still haven't been able to correct the problem. I was wondering if the census tags with witnesses had dissappeared from other people in your data set or was it just the one family group?

It was also the census tags with witnesses that dissappeared from mine. I had been doing extensive work with a family group of 2 parents and thier 12 children, had multiple census tags for this group (for the 1870, 1880, and the 1900 census), all the applicable kids linked as witnesses to the tags they appeared on. The only difference I can see between us is that I didn't change the roles, and my census tags and witnesses showed up for a while, as I referred to them often after they were entered.

After I noticed my information gone, and then calmed down (talk about panic!), I checked some of the other family units I know I had witnessed census tags for, that were seperate from the ones mentioned above. Thankfully, I haven't found any of those other ones missing, yet anyway.

I hope we can figure out why this 'dissappering census' episode happened and figure out a way to safe guard against it in the future.

Tina

I can replicate the issue as described by Lorna and will report it. The key lies in editing the tag type from Tag Entry.

Thanks Jim, I've just remembered that I did go back in to tag entry after giving the witnesses an existing role, and amended the sentence for the witness role.

I'm sure they were still there after adding a role to the tag whilst in tag entry, so suspect it was amending a sentence on the tag that finally did them in.

Hi Lorna,

The bad news is that I still haven't been able to correct the problem.  I was wondering if the census tags with witnesses had dissappeared from other people in your data set or was it just the one family group?

... The only difference I can see between us is that I didn't change the roles, and my census tags and witnesses showed up for a while, as I referred to them often after they were entered.

After I noticed my information gone, and then calmed down (talk about panic!), I checked some of the other family units I know I had witnessed census tags for, that were seperate from the ones mentioned above.  Thankfully, I haven't found any of those other ones missing, yet anyway. 

I hope we can figure out why this 'dissappering census' episode happened and figure out a way to safe guard against it in the future.

Tina

Tina,

I had seen your post previously, but it "smelt" different to me. I interpreted that you were losing the whole tag, not just the associated witnesses.

My one happens just to the tag being editted, which admittedly if you don't immediately check it, could meant that you do lose your input witness data, but the tag itself is there and fine.

Moral of my story is to always immediately check that the right data shows up in PV for each of the witnesses before you forget you'd attached them.