kathy_kult

Exporting Exhibits with GEDCOM - pathname is UPPERCASE

When I export my TMG file as a GEDCOM, all of my exhibit pathnames are turned to UPPERCASE. Such as, the path that's saved in TMG as "c:\genealogy\photos\SMITH-JaneDOE.jpg" appears as "FILE C:\GENEALOGY\PHOTOS\SMITH-JANEDOE.JPG" in the .GED file.

Is there a way to export the path as it is in TMG, rather than in UPPERCASE? For systems that are case-sensitive (such as Unix or LINIX servers) won't find the photo because it's looking for it in uppercase.

I looked all over for a setting in TMG, but I couldn't find one. I'd hate to have to rename all my photos to uppercase... I have hundreds of 'em!! :wacko:

You're going to need to explain the context for this. The paths are references to external files on your local system and the case is not relevant in that context.

Now you can have the external file reference as a network address where the multimedia data may be obtained. Are you actually using the GEDCOMs for data display on a server where the path must be mixed (or lower) case?

If the GEDCOMs are used on a server and the local paths are converted to network paths, you would be in much better shape if the paths were in lower case rather than mixed case. That would also be much easier to handle in terms of standardizing the GEDCOM output. And looking at RootsWeb as an example... It seems that the issue is the filename, not the path since the path is basically discarded. The filename examples that I looked at were all lower case.

I've looked at GEDCOM output from other programs and find no standard behavior in regard to this issue. The case of the filename is sometimes replicated but the case of the path is unpredictable.

Do you have a spec document for the server that you plan to use regarding multimedia exhibits and what the server expects specifically in regard to a GEDCOM?

Another thing that puzzles me is why this issue comes up now. The standard practice for TMG users using Second Site is to name all exhibits in lower case. Many other TMG users are building web sites by way of GEDCOM and this issue has never come up. I'm assuming that the users use lower case filenames and the tools that build the web sites from GEDCOMs are dealing with the case issues.

What servers require is not an issue but what does that have to do with GEDCOM multimedia paths?

It seemed to be a point on the curve, on the subject of case sensitivity.

However, if it is determined that, for whatever reason, that GEDCOM files need case sensitivity in paths to the multimedia files, the paths can be easily globally changed in MS Word Find/Replace UP TO the actual jpg file name.

The individual file names will have to be handled manually.

When I export my TMG file as a GEDCOM, all of my exhibit pathnames are turned to UPPERCASE. Such as, the path that's saved in TMG as "c:\genealogy\photos\SMITH-JaneDOE.jpg" appears as "FILE C:\GENEALOGY\PHOTOS\SMITH-JANEDOE.JPG" in the .GED file.

I understand that some operating systems are case sensitive when it comes to paths and file names. But in what context would you be transferring information via GEDCOM to such a system when the path names on your system would be used? I'm failing to understand how the path to the file on your system is if any use to a Unix or LINIX server.

So sorry I haven't replied to this before now... I had a last-minute business trip to deal with, and haven't been able to get back to this problem until now

In researching this problem further, I realize I misled you all by saying the "pathname" was the problem. In fact, it's the FILEname that is the problem, not the path, because you're all correct -- the path is not used on the website server.

I am currently using TNG (The Next Generation) software to generate my website (http://lythgoes.net/genealogy/software.php). I was using SecondSite, but liked TNG better, because it uses a database and php files rather than pre-generating all of the webpages.

Anyway, the problem is I entered the filename of the exhibit in TMG as mixed case (thinking that it wouldn't be a problem), but when I export as GEDCOM, TMG turns the mixed-case filename into all UPPERCASE. Why does it do this????

Then when I load the GEDCOM into TNG, it uses the filename in the GEDCOM, and looks for SMITH-JANEDOE.JPG instead of SMITH-JaneDOE.jpg. So now I have to go through and manually re-link the exhibits via TNG back to the mixed-case filename.

However, when I update my TMG, I have to export a GEDCOM and reload it into TNG again, and because the TMG turns the filename into all upper-case for the GEDCOM, I lose all my links to the exhibits again and have to go through and manually relink them AGAIN in TNG. What a fiasco!!!

So, if anyone has any ideas for how to fix this (besides renaming all of my graphics to all upper-case), I'd appreciate hearing from you!

Hi,

I publish my gedcoms using PhpGedView ( http://www.phpgedview.net/ ). It has a feature where I tell it how much of my path I am replicating on the webserver, so... it would help a lot if the case of the entire path was correct. Currently I have to massage the gedcom output to be able to publish it.

-larry

(snip)

However, when I update my TMG, I have to export a GEDCOM and reload it into TNG again, and because the TMG turns the filename into all upper-case for the GEDCOM, I lose all my links to the exhibits again and have to go through and manually relink them AGAIN in TNG.  What a fiasco!!!

So, if anyone has any ideas for how to fix this (besides renaming all of my graphics to all upper-case), I'd appreciate hearing from you!

Perhaps it would be simpler to create a new folder in the same path, copy all TMG linked jpegs over, and remame them to all Upper Case.

Or consider using the AutoCorrect feature of OpenOffice.org Writer to build a new Find/Replace library of ALL CAPS vs. Mixed case jpeg filenames. (You would only have to do this once for each filename, no matter how many times you re-export TMG Gedcoms). OOo AutoCorrect can change the incorrect TMG GEDCOM links back to your original mixed case filenaming connvention.

It may not be necessary to change the entire path, but if so, the path could be changed globally, and the filnames could be changed individually.

Well, okay, it sounds like either way, I'm going to have to change all of my filenames to upper-case, which is something I'd rather not do, but if I'm forced into it, I'll have to. Either that, or I have to re-map 100's of exhibits every time I revise my GEDCOM.

What I would like to know is WHY the TMG software deliberately changes the filenames for .jpg files to upper-case in the first place??? The path and filename for the .ged file is in mixed-case in the same GEDCOM file, so it's not making every FILE field as upper-case... it looks like it's only changing the filenames when it's an exhibit.

It seemed to be a point on the curve, on the subject of case sensitivity.

However, if it is determined that, for whatever reason, that GEDCOM files need case sensitivity in paths to the multimedia files, the paths can be easily globally changed in MS Word Find/Replace UP TO the actual jpg file name.

The individual file names will have to be handled manually.

Whether which programs or computers are case sensitive or not is not an issue. An issue is why should the case of file names be changed by a GEDCOM creation, ever???

The human eye is case sensitive, so leave the users case selection in file names alone!!!!!!!!!

If you have over 5000 exhibit files, which form of the following portrait file name would make more visual sense on a screen?

BEAUREGARDPIERREGUSTAVETOUTANT.JPG

or

BeauregardPierreGustaveToutant.jpg

Thanks for reading,

Mike

Irfanview 3.97 (freeware) has batch file renaming capability.

Thanks John - I certainly will investigate that one, because I'm only 10% the way through renaming my files to ALLUPPERCASE, and it's definitely a pain.

Thanks for your help!

This issue is resolved by TMG v6.06.000. The paths for external exhibits will now be exported to GEDCOM exactly as stored in the exhibits table.

Jim,

THANK YOU, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just tested TMG v6.06, and the .jpg files are now UpperLower case as I had entered them.

Thanks for updating the software so quickly!!!

:thumbsup:

Kathy