LornaHenderson

Not prompted for "add marriage?" for changed parents

I think I've just uncovered the situation where I wasn't prompted for a marriage, that I thought I'd seen earlier, but not noted what I'd done at the time.

Existing child, with two parents

From PV, selected mother and hit enter

Changed id number of mother (by keying in known id num), changed existing citation, added comment in memo and F9'd.

This would have made siblings her parents at this stage as I still had the new mother's brother as the father.

I wasn't prompted to add a marriage of the new parents.

Can this be replicated?

I think I've just uncovered the situation where I wasn't prompted for a marriage, that I thought I'd seen earlier, but not noted what I'd done at the time.

Existing child, with two parents

From PV, selected mother and hit enter

Changed id number of mother (by keying in known id num), changed existing citation, added comment in memo and F9'd.

This would have made siblings her parents at this stage as I still had the new mother's  brother as the father.

I wasn't prompted to add a marriage of the new parents.

Can this be replicated?

Try checking your preferences. Under "Preferences/Options/Program Options/Prompts" the first item should be "Prompt for marriage of parents". Is this checked?

Jennifer

I got the prompt when I tested the situation.

Thanks for trying Jim, I'll keep an eye out for any repeat and see if there was something else I did.

Jennifer:

ta for the reply, yes, I have the prompt turned on, which is why I was reporting not getting the prompt in this situation, which can't be replicated, so I'm treating it as a one-off

Different one to previous example this time, but no prompt.

What I think I did.

Son in PV.

selected empty father tag, entered and created new person, adding his name, birth, death details and an existing citation (from F3)

put comment in relationship memo, F9

likewise wife.

About the only thing different from normal was the adding a comment in the relationship memo, which, for the wife, I got from the repeat list, and then edited slightly before F9ing out.

Don't think I've noticed this lack of prompt at all since the Oct 2005 below/above, so it's obviously rare.

Slightly different twist this time, didn't even get a prompt to add marriage, let alone a prompt for the married name - maybe this is also the situation above, and I just didn't realise I've possibly got some "unmarried" parents floating around unintentionally?

What I think I did.

Existing person.

tabbed/arrowed to Mother slot in PV, Enter.

R-tabbed to the add person button

entered mother's details, name, birth, death

back at son's PV via a couple of F9s

tabbed to father slot, Enter

R-tabbed to add person button

entered name birth death info

on tag entry for the relationship between father/son

added citation F4, F3, F9

moused to relationship memo keyed in some text

F9 back to PV of the son.

No prompts for anything about marriage of the new parents.

It may or may not be significant that the surname I'd given the mother was her married name in the Name-Var tag, so was the same as the husband's.

Next step was going to be changing that to Name-Marr.

Still treating each of these as one-offs, they don't happen very often at all, namely only the times shown above in my postings.

I have rebooted completely recently, but haven't done any maintenance routines for a day or so.

Lorna

You will not get a prompt for a married name is a name tag already exists for that surname.

Fine, but in this case even the "do I want to add a marriage" (or whatever the prompt is) for the parents was missing.

Not sure I totally agree with the above though. What if you always want Name-Marr tags? I didn't have one of those at the point this occurred.

I really am treating it as just one of those things and continuing, but logging it in the hope it helps someone eliminate a bug, or realise that one might exist and therefore take care when adding parents.

Slightly different twist this time, didn't even get a prompt to add marriage,....

No prompts for anything about marriage of the new parents.

v6.08

what I think I did this time.

I'd just added a census tag to a person, putting him as a son (Witness) of a newly added person (supposedly his mother) but working from his person view.

ie I'd shifted him from principal to witness and added the mother (now the principal) as a new person.

After F9ing the census tag I opened his Mother relationship tag and keyed in her id.

moused into the relationship memo and entered some text, then f9'd to close the relationship tag.

Previously he only had a father, no mother.

After adding this mother, who at this stage DID have his same surname, I was not prompted to add marriage for parents (and yes my preferences are set to prompt for adding marriage to parents).

And another twist to lack of prompts related to marriages ...

Person A with a father and no mother

Person B with a mother and no father

I merged Person B into Person A, which gave him a full complement of parents.

But I wasn't asked if I wanted to marry off the parents at all.

A minor thing, just mentioning it in passing

And another twist to lack of prompts related to marriages ...

Person A with a father and no mother

Person B with a mother and no father

I merged Person B into Person A, which gave him a full complement of parents.

But I wasn't asked if I wanted to marry off the parents at all.

A minor thing, just mentioning it in passing

Lorna,

Just because you merged a person so that they now have a full set of parents may not cause a marriage tag prompt. This case is different than if you add a father and then a mother to an individual.

Dave

Lorna,

Just because you merged a person so that they now have a full set of parents may not cause a marriage tag prompt. This case is different than if you add a father and then a mother to an individual.

Dave

Dave,

My point is that it is merely another way of adding a mother (or whoever the missing parent was), and if I have my preferences set to prompt for marriage of parents, that however they are added, I should get the prompt.

In this particular case, I didn't.

But as I said, just menitoned in passing, no big deal whatsoever.

Lorna,

From the Help File:

Prompt for marriage of parents

If this is checked, when parents are entered you will be prompted to enter their marriage.

Prompt for married name

If this is checked, when a marriage is entered for a female, you will be asked if a married name tag should be created for her. If you create this tag, she will be listed under both names in the Picklist and Project Explorer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In your case I don't know that it would satisfy the requirements as you are adding one parent, be it father or mother. I don't claim to know how the software implements the prompt pop-up, so I could be wrong.

You do not satsify the conditions for the second circumstance because you aren't adding a marriage. just a biological relationship.

Did this just happen on one occasion or has it happened multiple times?

Dave

Dave,

My point is that it is merely another way of adding a mother (or whoever the missing parent was), and if I have my preferences set to prompt for marriage of parents, that however they are added, I should get the prompt.

In this particular case, I didn't.

But as I said, just menitoned in passing, no big deal whatsoever.